Undergraduate financial support
With no upfront fees for most undergraduate students and fantastic financial support packages, there's never been a better time to study at Birkbeck.
Want to talk to someone?
Our Student Advice Service is here to help you. If you have any questions about financial support, or if you would like some advice on payment options, please contact us.
Government student loans
- For most undergraduate students, you don't have to pay your fees upfront, as there are
- On top of a fees loan, if you are applying to study a full-time undergraduate degree starting in 2017, or a full-time or part-time undergraduate degree starting in 2018, government maintenance loans are available to help with your living costs while studying.
- Read about government loans, including eligibility, making an application, ELQ exemptions and repayment.
Birkbeck financial support for students on low incomes
- : you may be eligible for the Birkbeck cash bursary scheme, which can assist you with the costs of study, such as purchasing books, printing and travelling to lectures.
- : these financial awards are for students who need additional help with their course and/or living costs (eg essential books, photocopying).
- : if you need help covering the costs of childcare, you may be eligible for support from the Government and/or from Birkbeck, depending on your mode of study and personal circumstances.
- : thanks to the generosity of Birkbeck donors, we offer a range of bursaries to support our students financially. Most of them are available to current students only, but some are also available to prospective students. To find out more about these bursaries, please .
- : the Hardship Fund supports students who need additional financial support due to an unforeseen change of circumstance in their personal situation while they are studying, such as redundancy, illness or domestic problems. (Please note: you can only apply to this fund once you have started studying, and you cannot apply before you start at Birkbeck.)
Unum Access to University Bursary
- We have partnered with Unum to offer . The bursary is designed to offer assistance to five students who are in need of extra financial support to undertake their degree.
10% discount for union members
- If you are a member of a union that is recognised by the , you can (certificates, undergraduate and postgraduate).