Financial support for childcare

If you need help covering the costs of childcare, you may be eligible for support from the government and/or from Birkbeck, depending on your mode of study and personal circumstances. 

  • You may be eligible for the Childcare Grant from Student Finance England (details of eligibility). 
    • You will need to use an Ofsted-registered childcare provider and they too will need to sign the application form confirming the childcare costs. 
    • You will also need to provide evidence of your income (P60) and a recent child benefit letter. 
  • If you are a part-time undergraduate or a full-time or part-time postgraduate student, you may be eligible to receive financial support for childcare from Birkbeck. 
    • This support is offered to Home/EU single parents in receipt of child benefit, with an annual household income of less than £28,065. 
    • Please contact the Student Advice Service for further information and an application form. 
    • Deadline for applications: 27 May 2017.