Tier 4 (General) Student visa

  1. How to apply
  2. Documents you need to submit with your application
  3. What to do once you've received the decision on your application?

Tier 4 (General) Student visa allows students who are 18 years old or over to study full-time in the UK. 

1. How to apply

Applying from outside the UK

Applying from inside the UK

Credibility interview

Immigration health surcharge

Free Tier 4 visa checking service

2. Documents you need to submit with your application

You will need to submit the following supporting documentation (please note the English translation guidelines for documentation).

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

  • A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is a ‘virtual document’ similar to a database record, issued by Birkbeck in support of your Tier 4 application. Each CAS has a unique 14-digit alpha-numeric reference number (e.g. E4G2AB1C23D5E6) and contains information about the course of study and your personal details.
  • As part of this process, we may request your previous studies history in the UK if this information isn't included in your application form, to ensure that you don't exceed the maximum time limit on studying in the UK you are allowed.
  • Please note that a CAS can only be used once. If your visa application is refused, you will need a new CAS.
    • New students:the ISA team will contact eligible students normally four months before your course start date in order to arrange a CAS for you.
    • Continuing students: you will need to request a CAS by submitting a completed CAS request form with supporting documents.
  • Your CAS will be emailed to your email address once it has been issued.

Valid passport and photographs

  • Although it is not a mandatory requirement that your passport has a specific amount of time left, we advise you to renew your passport before making your visa application if your current passport will expire during your studies in the UK.
  • You will need two recent passport-sized photographs.

Financial evidence

Birth certificate

  • You will need to present an original birth certificate if you use your parent's financial evidence.

Tuberculosis (TB) certificate

  • Residents of certain countries wanting to come to the UK for longer than 6 months must obtain a certificate confirming that they are free from tuberculosis before you apply for a visa.

Police registration certificate (if applicable)

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certificate (if applicable)

  • If you wish to study a Master's or research degree programme in the physical sciences, computing and mathematics and you are from outside the European Economic Area and Switzerland, you will need to note the requirements of the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS).
  • If it applies to your programme of study, Birkbeck will formally notify you through our formal offer of admission, which is sent electronically.
  • It is important to note that wether you are a new or continuing student, if your programme is subject to ATAS then you must obtaine an ATAS clearance certificate before you start the programme of study.
  • The process normally takes a minimum of 20 working days and therefore you are advised to submit your ATAS clearance check application well in advance. An ATAS clearance certificate is valid for six months from the date of issue.
  • For an ATAS clearance certificate, the following information is required from the College:

Evidence of academic qualifications

  • You must include all original academic qualifications stated on your CAS statement. They will normally be your final academic certificate, such as degree certificate or A-Level certificate.
  • In cases where you have not yet received your final academic certificate, we may list a final transcript or final certificate of credit. Please note that a provisional degree certificate or provisional certificate of award will not be accepted.

Evidence of English language qualifications

3. What to do once you've received the decision on your visa

If your visa application was successful, you should:

If your visa application was unsuccessful, please send us the refusal note you received and request a new CAS. Please note that a CAS cannot be used more than once so do not submit a fresh visa application form without getting a new CAS.