Paying the deposit for your Tier 4 visa
will need to submit a deposit to secure your place.
As soon as you have been offered a place on a course at Birkbeck, you should complete payment of the £2000 deposit. You will then be eligible for a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) once you have met all conditions of your offer. CAS letters will be emailed to eligible students from the start of July.
For more information please.
How can I pay?
- Birkbeck has teamed up with Western Union Business Solutions to provide a fast and secure way of making an online payment.
Is Western Union Business Solutions secure?
- Yes. Western Union Business Solutions has been in business for 160 years and operates in more than 200 countries and provides a secure location for your payment.
When do I have to pay?
- You can pay as soon as you wish. Although there is no specific deadline by when you must pay, you will not be issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) until your deposit has cleared in Birkbeck’s account (and you have met all your offer conditions).
Can I pay the deposit in instalments?
- No. The deposit must be paid in full in one transaction.
Do I still have to show financial evidence for my Tier 4 visa application?
- Yes. When submitting your Tier 4 visa application you must show the tuition fees you still owe, plus . Your £2000 deposit will be deducted from this amount and shown on your CAS. .
I am a US or Canadian national who holds a federal/provincial loan: do I need to submit a deposit?
- Yes. Unless you have a full government loan, you will be required to pay a deposit.
Do I still need to enrol?
- Yes. Once you have submitted a deposit and have been issued with a CAS, you must still follow the process for enrolment. The £2000 deposit will be deducted from your account after enrolment.
Do I have to pay if I am in receipt of financial sponsorship?
- Students who hold any of the following are not required to submit a deposit:
- Birkbeck scholarship/studentship
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarship
- Chevening Scholarship
- a national government scholarship.
- In order to be excluded from the deposit requirement, the scholarship must cover the full cost of tuition and you must email the final unconditional letter confirming the studentship or scholarship.
- Students who are awarded less than the full cost of tuition must make a deposit payment.
Policy on refunds
- Can I get a refund if I do come to study at Birkbeck? By submitting a deposit you are agreeing to the , confirming that you intend to study at Birkbeck. Therefore no refunds will be granted other than in exceptional circumstances.
- What happens if I do not obtain the required grades? If you fail to meet your offer conditions for the course, no refund will be issued.
- What happens if I want to defer my studies after paying a deposit? Your deposit will stay on your account and be rolled over to the following academic year. Please note that you can only defer once. Failure to attend the next academic year will make you ineligible for a refund.
- What happens if I withdraw during my studies? If you withdraw at any point after paying the deposit, you will not be eligible for a refund, except in exceptional circumstances.