Skip to main content

Paying the deposit for your Tier 4 visa

If you need a Tier 4 visa to study, you will need to submit a deposit to secure your place.

As soon as you have been offered a place on a course at Birkbeck, you should complete payment of the £200 deposit. You will then be eligible for a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) once you have met all conditions of your offer. CAS statements will normally be emailed to eligible students from the start of July for September/October starters.

We hope that any questions you have will be answered below, but if you would like to ask anything else about the deposit requirement please contact our International Student Administration team.

For more information please read our deposit terms and conditions.

How can I pay?

  • There are two ways to pay: 
  • Paying via Western Union Business Solutions: this fast and reliable service allows you to pay in your local currency via bank transfer or via a wide range of local online payment options, including Alipay, UnionPay, ICICI and more, without incurring any transaction charges. Other benefits include: 
    • pay fees in your local currency 
    • avoid fees and international foreign exchange charges from your bank 
    • easy to use on smartphones and other mobile devices 
    • pay online or by bank transfer 
    • track your payment status by text and email 
    • get price and payment options upfront with a price comparison tool 
  • Pay now via Western Union Business Solutions
  • If you wish can also pay by bank transfer. However, please be aware that transfers can take up to five working days to clear. Our bank details are as follows:
    • National Westminster Bank, Tavistock House, PO Box 83, Tavistock Square, London WC1H 9XA
      • Bank account: Birkbeck College
      • Bank account No. 36261017
      • Sort Code: 60-80-07
      • IBAN No: GB41NWBK60800736261017
      • Swift No: NWBKGB2L 

When do I have to pay?

  • You can pay as soon as you wish. Although there is no specific deadline by when you must pay, you will not be issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) until your deposit has cleared in Birkbeck’s account (and you have met all your offer conditions).

Can I pay the deposit in instalments?

  • No. The deposit must be paid in full in one transaction.

Do I still have to show financial evidence for my Tier 4 visa application?

I am a US or Canadian national who holds a federal/provincial loan: do I need to submit a deposit?

  • Yes. Unless you have a full government loan, you will be required to pay a deposit.

Do I still need to enrol?

  • Yes. Once you have submitted a deposit and have been issued with a CAS, you must still follow the process for enrolment. The £200 deposit will be deducted from your account after enrolment.

Do I have to pay if I am in receipt of financial sponsorship?

  • Students who hold any of the following are not required to submit a deposit:
    • Birkbeck scholarship/studentship
    • Commonwealth Shared Scholarship
    • Chevening Scholarship
    • a national government scholarship.
  • In order to be excluded from the deposit requirement, the scholarship must cover the full cost of tuition and you must email the final unconditional letter confirming the studentship or scholarship.
  • Students who are awarded less than the full cost of tuition must make a deposit payment.

Policy on refunds

  • Can I get a refund if I do come to study at Birkbeck? By submitting a deposit you are agreeing to the deposit terms and conditions, confirming that you intend to study at Birkbeck. Therefore no refunds will be granted other than in exceptional circumstances.
  • What happens if I do not obtain the required grades? If you fail to meet your offer conditions for the course, no refund will be issued.
  • What happens if I want to defer my studies after paying a deposit? Your deposit will stay on your account and be rolled over to the following academic year. Please note that you can only defer once. Failure to attend the next academic year will make you ineligible for a refund.
  • What happens if I withdraw during my studies? If you withdraw at any point after paying the deposit, you will not be eligible for a refund, except in exceptional circumstances.