Skip to main content

Visa information

These pages tell you everything you need to know about visas, including information on the new Student visa, which is essential for international students who intend to study full-time at Birkbeck. From 1 January 2021, this will also be relevant to all students from the EEA and Switzerland who are not eligible to apply for pre-settled or settled status in the UK.

You can also find information here about Standard visitor visas and family visas

Coronavirus update 

Applying for a visa from the UK

Most visa centres in the UK have been closed since March. However, they are now beginning to reopen for existing customers.

Applying for a visa from outside the UK

The UKVI use two commercial partners to operate visa centres across the world - VFS Global and TLS Contact. Both have large numbers of centres that are temporarily closed for new applications. We anticipate that these centres will reopen as the summer progresses.

At present there are changes at the UK border for individuals entering the country and everyone is advised to check what they need to do before they travel.

Visit our supporting documents page to find out about changes to the date you will receive your CAS and delays in receiving your ATAS certificate.

Need advice or help?

Please contact us for more help.

View our up-to-date information regarding the post-study work visa. 

student visa

If you are an international student from outside the UK, or if you are from the EEA or Switzerland and dnot hold settled status in the UK from the 1 January 2020, you will have to apply for a Student visa to pursue a full-time programme of study. 

Other visa information