Skip to main content

Supporting documentation

You will need to submit the following supporting documentation in your visa application (please note the English translation guidelines for documentation).

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies

  • A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is a ‘virtual document’ similar to a database record, issued by Birkbeck in support of your Tier 4 application.
  • As part of this process, we may request your previous studies history in the UK if this information isn't included in your application form, to ensure that you don't exceed the maximum time limit on studying in the UK you are allowed and satisfying academic progression outlined in the Tier 4 Policy guidance.
  • Please note that a CAS can only be used once. If your visa application is refused, you will need a new CAS.
  • How to apply for a CAS:
    • New students: if you are eligible, we will usually contact you four months before your course start date, in order to arrange a CAS for you.
    • Continuing students: you will need to request a CAS by submitting a completed CAS request form with supporting documents.
  • Your CAS will be emailed to your email address once it has been issued.

Valid passport and photographs

  • Although it is not a mandatory requirement that your passport has a specific amount of time left, we advise you to renew your passport before making your visa application if your current passport will expire during your studies in the UK.
  • You will need two recent passport-sized photographs

Financial evidence

Tuberculosis (TB) certificate

  • Residents of certain countries wanting to come to the UK for longer than six months must obtain a certificate confirming that they are free from tuberculosis before you apply for a visa.
  • Students applying to extend their Tier 4 visa would not normally be required to provide a TB certificate. Please check the section entitled 'Who doesn’t need to be tested' on the website to see if this applies to you.

Police registration certificate (if applicable)

  • International students of certain nationalities may be required to register with the police within seven days of arrival in the UKFind out whether you need to register with the police.
  • You must keep the Police Registration Certificate up-to-date by telling the police for changes of the information you gave them.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certificate (if applicable)

  • If you wish to study a Master's or research degree programme in the physical sciences, computing and mathematics and you are from outside the European Economic Area and Switzerland, you will need to note the requirements of the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS).
  • If it applies to your programme of study, Birkbeck will formally notify you through our formal offer of admission, which is sent electronically.
  • It is important to note that, if required, both new and continuing students must obtain an ATAS clearance certificate before starting their programme of study.
  • Continuing students must obtain a new ATAS clearance certificate for a further period of study before a new CAS can be issued.
  • The process normally takes a minimum of 20 working days and, therefore, you are advised to submit your ATAS clearance check application well in advance. An ATAS clearance certificate is valid for six months from the date of issue.
  • For an ATAS clearance certificate, the following information is required from the College:

Evidence of academic qualifications

  • You must include all original academic qualifications stated on your CAS statement. They will usually be your final academic certificate, such as degree certificate or A-Level certificate.
  • In cases where you have not yet received your final academic certificate, we may list a final transcript or final certificate of credit. Please note that a provisional degree certificate or provisional certificate of award will not be accepted.
  • If you are applying for an extension of your Tier 4 (General) Student visa from inside the UK to start a new programme of study at Birkbeck, you will need to include official evidence that you have successfully completed your original course of study.

Evidence of English language qualifications

English translation guidelines

If any of your documents are not in English, you must submit the original and a fully certified translation by a professional translator or translation company. This includes your financial documents.

For applicants who are already in the UK

  • Translation must include:
    • details of the translator or translation company's credentials
    • confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document
    • the translator or translation company's contact details.
    • It must also be dated and include the original signature of the translator or an authorised official of the translation company.

For applicants who are overseas

  • The original translation must contain:
    • confirmation from the translator or translation company that it is an accurate translation of the original document
    • the date of the translation
    • the full name and signature of the translator or of an authorised official of the translation company
    • the translator or translation company's contact details.