Fees and payment
We know that financial issues are an important part of your decision about where to study. That is why we offer all our students flexible payment plans without any hidden administrative costs.
Full-time international fees
- Following is an indication of full-time international tuition fees for 2014/15 according to level of study and subject area.
- Undergraduate degrees: £13,000 per year
- Master's taught degrees: £12,975-£14,775 per year
- 'Premium' Master's taught degrees: £17,500-£19,975 per year
- Master's research programmes: £11,995-£14,775 per year
- MRes Functional Neuroimaging: £20,475 per year
- MPhil/PhD: £11,995 per year
- We publish fees on our course listings, so please check them for course-specific fee information.
Part-time international fees
- You must be eligible to study part-time in order to pay the part-time overseas fee rate.
- your current immigration status allows you to study at Birkbeck on a part-time basis.
Will I pay home or overseas fees?
- Your fee status – whether you pay 'home' or 'overseas' fees – will be assessed when you make an application to study with us. Birkbeck will use the information you provide to assess your fee status based on regulations set by the education department of the UK government. Fee status is assessed once at the point of entry to a programme and will normally remain the same for the duration of the programme.
- We generally advise that you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees, plus at least £12,000-£13,000 to cover living costs for one calendar year – this should be enough to cover accommodation, food, local travel, and a 'modest' social life. Use the free international student calculator to work out how to manage your money and build a budget for living and studying in the UK.
Paying your fees by instalments
We want to make it as easy as we can for you to pay your fees, which is why we offer a flexible payment system with a choice of monthly or three termly payments.
Paying by monthly instalments
- If you open a UK bank account, which allows for direct debit payments, you will be able to pay your tuition fees in monthly instalments. There are no additional credit charges or administrative fees if you pay this way.
Paying by three termly instalments
- If you do not have a UK bank account you may pay in full, or in three termly instalments by credit card (Visa/MasterCard) or by electronic transfer. There are no additional credit charges or administrative fees from Birkbeck, although you should check if your bank will charge for this service.