Skip to main content

Accommodation for full-time students

Please view our coronavirus information page to find out what the current status is at the College.

Partner halls of residence

  • Applications for accommodation in partner halls of residence for academic year 2022/23 have now closed. You can find alternative accommodation options on this page.
  • Eligibility criteria
    • You must have accepted a conditional or unconditional offer to study at Birkbeck on a full-time course to apply.
    • Only students starting a course in 2022-23, for the full academic year, can apply for a space in a partner hall.
    • Priority will be given to international students studying in the UK for the first time.
    • Applications from students from outside of the M25 will also be considered.
    • Students under 18, prior to 11 September 2022, will be allocated space at College Hall, depending on availability.
    • Demand for nominated rooms usually exceeds supply. Therefore, we cannot guarantee that every applicant will be offered a room. We advise applicants to also look into alternative accommodation options.
  • Students will be able to apply via Birkbeck for rooms in the following University of London Intercollegiate Halls:
  • Stays in partner halls are limited to the first year of study.
  • When to apply
    • Applications are open until 29 July 2022. Applications for accommodation in partner halls of residence for academic year 2022/23 have now closed.
  • How to apply
    • Eligible students can access the application form on their My Birkbeck account, under 'My Services'.
    • Accommodation offers will be sent out in July (for students meeting the conditions of our guaranteed scheme for international students only) and August. Only students with unconditional offers will receive offer of accommodation. Not all allocations will be generated at once so we kindly ask you to bear with us and be patient.
  • Only one offer of accommodation will be made to successful applicants. If you miss the deadline to respond the offer will be withdrawn.
  • No offer of accommodation will be sent after 25 August 2022.
  • Guaranteed accommodation for international students
    • Full-time international-fee paying students (unconditional offer - accepted) who apply for a single occupancy room by 4 July 2022, are guaranteed an offer of accommodation.

Other University of London halls

  • If you are interested in intercollegiate rooms that are not part of Birkbeck's quota, or if you don’t meet the eligibility criteria to apply for a room via Birkbeck, you can apply directly to the University of London Accommodation portal for space at in the intercollegiate halls. Applications are open and dealt with on a first-come-first-served basis. For information on the process, please visit the University of London website and scroll down to direct bookings.
  • In early September, all intercollegiate rooms that haven't been filled by colleges via the quota system will be released for direct booking on the University of London Accommodation portal. Please note, however, that there is no guarantee which accommodation is going to be available and it is a first-come, first-served process managed by the University of London Accommodation.

Independent halls of residence

  • London has a variety of independent halls of residence, not-for-profit and commercial, offering a large range of accommodation from dorms to flats.
  • You must apply directly to the halls for a space. Applications are usually dealt with on a first-come-first-served basis.
  • Applications are open to all full-time students (new and returning students). A small number of providers accept part-time students. You can stay in private or charity-run halls of residence as long as you are a student.

University of London's apartments

  • Located in Bloomsbury, these University of London-owned apartments offer a great alternative to halls of residence for students who would like more independence and focus. 
  • The flats are self-catered and fully-furnished.
  • (PMU) for more information.
  • There is no formal application process and spaces are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis.

Help with private accommodation

  • Birkbeck students have full access to the University of London’s Housing Services (ULHS), the University of London's dedicated Private Housing Service, which offers a range of services to assist and support students who are looking for and living in private accommodation. 
  • Online database
    • You can search for accommodation on the online property database with offers of accommodation from registered landlords, lettings agents, private halls and other providers of private accommodation.
  • Events
    • ULHS run a selection of events for students, landlords and those working in student accommodation. This includes housing talks and advice sessions, training courses and forums, flatmate finder events and the annual Housing Fair in May, which supports students who are searching for private accommodation for the following academic year. 
  • Contract checking
    • ULHS offers a contract checking service for students to use before they sign their contract for private accommodation. They provide guidance on what to look out for and to do when you are renting privately and check the contract for unfair clauses, which may cause you problems in your accommodation. Read more on the ULHS Get Advice section.
  • Legal advice
    • ULHS' experienced Housing Advice Team is dedicated to supporting students who experience problems in private accommodation and offers advice on a range of issues including deposit disputes and repairs.
  • Private Housing Guide
    • The Private Housing Guide will give you further information on the different types of accommodation, how much you can expect to pay and what you need to know before you start your search.
  • Flatmate Finder on Facebook