Enrolling on a course

Before you can start your course each year, you need to enrol. By enrolling, you officially become a student of Birkbeck. This means you can: 

  • attend your lectures and seminars 
  • login to Moodle (our virtual learning environment where reading lists and course-related information is posted) 
  • use the Birkbeck Library 
  • order your student card 
  • opt to become a member of the Birkbeck College Students' Union 
  • gain full access to all College support services, such as the Careers and Employability Service

Please note: the enrolment process does not apply to our direct-enrolment short courses (where you enrol as soon as you book onto the course) or to our modular Certificates of Higher Education

When to enrol

  • Enrolment opens before the start of term. For example, enrolment usually opens in June for students who are starting in October. The opportunity to enrol is time-limited, so please enrol as soon as you can. 
  • If you are intending to study a short course or a certificate of higher education that doesn't have an application process, you can enrol directly at any time. 

How to enrol as a new student

  • We will send you an email inviting you to enrol online if: 
    • you have been formally accepted on a programme of study
    • you have accepted your offer of admission
    • there are no outstanding offer conditions. 
  • The email will contain your username and password; you will need to enrol by logging into My Birkbeck. This is your student account, which you can access with your username and password. 
  • Once you have enrolled, you will also need to show your ID documents; you will only need to do this once, at the start of your course (you won't have to do this for the following years). 

How to enrol as a continuing student 

  • If you are a continuing student at Birkbeck (ie you are in the second or following year of your degree course), you should enrol by logging into My Birkbeck.
  • Please note: if you haven't completely paid your tuition fees from the preceding year, you will not be allowed to enrol. Please contact the Income Office for advice if you are having trouble paying your fees. 

How to Enrol as a Continuing MPhil/PhD Researcher  

  • MPhil/PhD researchers need to re-enrol in the Autumn term, at the start of each academic year, and you must be enrolled in order to submit your thesis for examination. You should enrol by logging into My Birkbeck.
  • Invitations to re-enrol are usually sent July to August each year. 
  • If you have been awarded a PhD studentship, you will need to re-enrol before you can receive your stipend. 

What happens after you have enrolled?

    • Once you have successfully enrolled, the school or department that organises your course will provide you with information on your programme of study near to the start date of your course. This will include: 
      • preliminary reading lists
      • details of any special arrangements about the first meeting of your course.

Changes to your enrolment details

      • If you have requested a change to your details and your enrolment was put on hold, we will need to check the changes requested before you can access your record again and complete enrolment. You will receive an email when your record has been released, and you may then login again to complete your enrolment.

Cancelling enrolment

    • If you do not intend to take up our offer of a place, then please cancel your enrolment via the Applicant Portal.
    • Login to the Portal using your application username and password and click on ‘Cancel my enrolment’.