Postgraduate financial support
Birkbeck is committed to providing advice and support to help you finance your postgraduate studies. The government has introduced new loans for postgraduate students and, alongside these, we also offer flexible payment options and a hardship fund to support students who experience a change of circumstances while studying.
Want advice on funding?
- Our Student Advice Service is here to help you - if you have any questions about financial support, or if you would like some advice on payment options, .
Government postgraduate student loans
- A is available for courses beginning this autumn.
- Use our postgraduate funding calculator to help you explore your payment options in more detail.
- Once you have accepted your offer of a place and met all the conditions attached to your offer (if there are any), you will be invited to enrol. If you tell us during enrolment that you are going to apply for a UK Government postgraduate loan, you will be asked to pay the first £200 of the course fee to enrol. Once you are an enrolled student, Birkbeck will inform Student Finance England, and this will enable them to release the money to you.
- Kenway Legacy Scholarships: Students accepted onto the specialist MSc and MA programmes delivered by the
- Postgraduate psychology degree funding
- The Sasakawa Japanese Studies Postgraduate Studentship
- School of Arts Master's Studentships
- School of Law postgraduate studentships
Professional and Career Development Loans
- A Professional and Career Development Loan is a commercial bank loan that you can use to help pay for work-related learning. We are a registered Learning Provider (registration number 4857), which means you can apply for this loan to study here.
Birkbeck financial support for students on low incomes
- : Generously supported by our alumni, the Birkbeck Postgraduate Bursary offers non-repayable bursaries towards tuition fees of £3000 for full-time postgraduate courses and £1500 per year (for a maximum of two years) for part-time postgraduate courses.
- Sir Bernard Schreier Postgraduate Scholarships: The Scholarship is a non-repayable award towards tuition fees of £5000 for full-time taught postgraduate courses, and £2500 per year (for a maximum of two years) for part-time taught postgraduate courses.
- Birkbeck help with childcare costs: If you need help covering the costs of childcare, you may be eligible for support from the Government and/or from Birkbeck, depending on your mode of study and personal circumstances.
10% discount for union members
- If you are a member of a union that is recognised by the claim 10% off (certificates, undergraduate and postgraduate). , you can
10% fees discount for Birkbeck alumni
- We offer a 10% discount on tuition fees to all Birkbeck alumni who have completed an undergraduate degree and are enrolling on any master's degree (MA, MSc, LLM and MRes), starting in the autumn.