Birkbeck Postgraduate Bursary
Generously supported by our alumni, the Birkbeck Postgraduate Bursary offers non-repayable bursaries towards tuition fees of £3000 for full-time taught postgraduate courses and £1500 per year (for a maximum of two years) for part-time taught postgraduate courses. These bursaries are designed to support students on low incomes, to provide them with an opportunity to study a postgraduate qualification that may further their career prospects.
We are now accepting applications for the 2017/18 academic year. Applications must be received by 30 June 2017 and we will notify applicants of the outcome by the end of July 2017.
- To be eligible for the Alumni Fund Postgraduate Opportunity Bursary you must:
- be applying to the first year of a taught master's degree (i.e. not a PGCert, PGDip, MRes, MPhil or PhD) in the 2017/18 academic year. You do not need to have received an outcome to your course application in order to submit an application for the bursary
- have made sufficient financial provision to meet the remaining costs associated with your fees and other course costs
- if necessary, be applying for a or a , if you are eligible to do so
- not be a current debtor to the college
- meet the income criteria (see below).
- You must have a gross annual household income (including partner's income, if relevant) for the 2016-17 tax year that falls into one of the below categories:
- single student, no dependent children: up to £28,065
- single student, one dependent child: up to £30,065
- single student, two dependent children: up to £31,065 (if you have more than two dependent children, add an extra £1000 for each additional child)
- married/partnered student, no dependent children: up to £30,065
- married/partnered student, one dependent child: up to £32,065
- married/partnered student, two dependent children: up to £33,065 (if you have more than two dependent children, add an extra £1000 for each additional child).
How and when to apply
- Once you have applied for your course and checked your eligibility, download and complete the . (Please note: if your application form is incomplete, missing any pages, or does not include the required supporting documents we will not be able to consider your application.)
- We can only process applications once you have applied for a place on a course. You do not need to have received an outcome of your course application in order to apply for the Opportunity Bursary.
- Once you have completed your application form you will need to return it (with all supporting documents) by post to Student Services, Birkbeck University of London, Malet Street, London, WC1E 7HX. We do not accept applications by email.