School of Arts Master's Bursaries and Studentships
We are delighted to be able to offer over twenty bursaries to Masters students coming into the School of Arts, Birkbeck. Please see details of each available award and application deadlines below. All applications should be made using thewhich must be completed in addition to a College application. Please note the deadlines for applications.
If you are wishing to apply for any of the bursaries below and have not yet been accepted onto your chosen MA course, you can submit both applications at the same time, by the deadline indicated. Please note, however, bursaries will only be awarded to applicants who have been accepted onto an MA course of study for the next academic year.
- School of Arts MA Bursaries. Up to two full-time or part-time partial fee waivers for home/EU students with outstanding academic records and excellent promise. Deadline is 30 April 2016.
- Dean's Awards. Up to two MA studentships (partial fee awards, full-time or part-time, for Home/EU students) for those who have graduated with an undergraduate degree from Birkbeck College since May 2010. Candidates are likely to have received, or expect to receive, a first-class classification in their undergraduate degree from Birkbeck. Deadline is 30 April 2016.
- Gordon Square International Award. One full or partial fee waiver, full-time or part-time, for an outstanding international (non-EU) MA student. Deadline is 30 April 2016.
- The Daniel and Elizabeth Peltz Awards. Five bursaries available for part-time home/EU MA students. Each bursary is £6000 to be spread across two years of study awarded to in-coming students with outstanding academic or professional records as applicable to their chosen area of study. Next tranche of funding will be available from September 2017, over two years, for five part time students.
- Aaron Sims Scholarship. Up to eight bursaries of £3000 each (over two years) for excellent students admitted onto the part-time MA Comparative Literature (French or German pathway) or MA Spanish and Latin American Cultural Studies. Deadline is 1 September 2016. Find out more and apply here.
- Greta Dexter Exhibition Bursary. One bursary of up to £1000 for students in employment and demonstrating financial hardship who are admitted to the MA Comparative Literature (French pathway). Deadline is 1 September 2016. Find out more and apply here.
- The Kit de Waal Scholarship is a fully funded place on the MA Creative Writing part-time over two years designed to enable writers on low income and from marginalised groups to study for the MA. Applicants should read the information about how to apply here and fill in this form in order to apply. Deadline: 15th Feb 2016.
- Sophie Warne Fellowships. One fee remission award of £1750 for an outstanding student admitted onto the MA Creative Writing. Deadline for admissions applications, with a 2000 word writing sample: 27 September 2015.
- MFA Theatre Directing awards. There will be a number of bursaries towards fees awarded on the basis of financial need. It is not possible to apply for these bursaries in advance of being offered a place on the MFA Theatre Directing; successful applicants will be given further details once admitted to the programme.
The amounts of these bursaries are fixed regardless of fee level, please be aware that if there is short fall you will be liable for the remainder of your fees.