The Department of Spanish and Latin American Studies is one of the most renowned of its kind in the UK:
- Top-rated research: in 2008, 20% of our research activity was awarded 4* in the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE). This is the highest mark possible, denoting research that is world-leading in its originality, significance and rigour.
- Research centres: our department is home to the following research centres:
- Centre of Iberian and Latin American visual Studies (CILAVS): this research centre offers a unique environment for collaborative, cross-disciplinary and comparative research on visual subjects in the Hispanic and Lusophone world, including Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Iberoamerican Museum of Visual Culture on the Web: this is Birkbeck's pioneering on-line resource on the visual cultures of Latin America, Spain and Portugal.
- Our academic staff members specialise in diverse aspects of cultural history.
- Our courses: we offer a variety of single subject and combined courses covering the rich and fascinating languages, history, culture, cinema and art of Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking societies.
- Our location: we are in the heart of London's University quarter in Bloomsbury, minutes away from world-class institutions such as the British Museum, the British Library and Senate House. As a part of Birkbeck's thriving School of Arts, we are housed in historical buildings on Gordon Square.