‘The Power of Swearwords’ Taster Lecture
Professor Jean-Marc Dewaele gives a lecture on the subject of swearwords
Michelle Cunnington, MA student of Inter-Cultural Communications at Birkbeck
Student Michelle Cunnington, relating her experiences of studying at Birkbeck.
Yvonne Chi, PhD student of Applied Linguistics
Student Yvonne Chi, relating her experiences of studying at Birkbeck.
Kathryn Webb, BA student of Linguistics and Language
Student Kathryn Webb, relating her experiences of studying at Birkbeck.
50th Conference Images
We have published a selection of photographs from our extremely successful 50th Anniversary Conference. You click on the images to make them bigger and view the whole gallery.
Created with flickr badge.
Your Student Society
The Birkbeck College Applied Linguistics Society (BCALS) is a student-run society created to enhance the study experience both academically and socially. It is highly encouraged that every student taking a course within the Department of Applied Linguistics and Communication joins this society, to build an academic support network, receive extra notices of various course related events (in and out of Birkbeck) and make friends with other students from the Department.
Among its activities, BCALS meets regularly, arranges trips, publishes a newsletter, promotes various seminars, conferences and job openings over the e-list, and holds a student conference at the end of the school year.
The department frequently updates its Facebook page and has an active social presence online. Like our page to be kept informed about future news and events
- Krystle Jalalian, PhD student in Applied Linguistics presented at the IMFAR Scientific Meeting
- Emina Tuzovic, PhD student in Applied Linguistics presented at AWLL 10
- The Birkbeck delegation at the Donostia Young Researchers International Symposium on Multilingualism by PhD Students Louise Rolland, Miho Kito and BA Student Pactricia Favretto Nonnenmacher.
- Fatima Alhalwachi writes about her experience at the BALL 2015 Conference
See All Blogs/News
- PhD Student Alex Shaitan writes about her experience presenting at the 14th IPrA Conference
- PhD Student Chieri Noda writes about her experience presenting at the British Association of Applied Linguistics Conference 2015
- Catching up with PhD student Krystle Jalalian
- My journey from MA to PhD: written by Hui Sun
- My journey from BA to PhD: written by Dr Elaine Fraser
- My final year at Birkbeck on the BA Linguistics and Language Programme: Sally Cowan
- BA Student Katherine Howard is interviewed about her experience on the BA Linguistics and Language programme.
- PhD Student Linda Li blogs about her experience presenting at the 13th New York International Conference on Teaching Chinese Language and Culture
- PhD student Ariadni Loutrari blogs about 6th 50th Anniversary Talk
- PhD Student Louise Rolland blogs about 5th 50th Anniversary Talk
- PhD Student Louise Rolland blogs about 4th 50th Anniversary Talk
- PhD Student Alexandra Shaitan blogs about 3rd 50th Anniversary Talk
- PhD Student Takako Inada presented at the Interdisciplinary Linguistics Conference
- PhD Student Agnès Marchessou blogs about 2nd 50th Anniversary Talk
- Take a step back… at Birkbeck! - Dr Amelia Lambelet, Université de Fribourg
- PhD Student Chieri Noda blogs about 1st 50th Anniversary Talk
- See what our graduates have gone on to do after completing their courses.
- Dr Ruxandra-Silvia Comanaru has written about her experiences whilst studying a PhD in Applied Linguistics at Birkbeck.
- PhD Student Franco Zappettini presents at 5th Edition of the Political Linguistics Conference.
- Dr Susan Samata, first graduate of the NewRoutePhD Applied Linguistics programme writes about her experience at Birkbeck.
- Sarah Collier-Smith is awared a coveted teacher training bursary
- Kate Hammer presents at COST Action IS1306:
- Glennis Starling is awarded the Michel Blanc Prize
- Matthew Davis' Blog (MA Applied Linguistics Student)
- Ron Peek's Blog (MA Applied Linguistics Student)
- Susan Samata presents at the Crossling Symposium
- Franco Zappettini presents at the 3rd I-mean conference
- Alexandra Shaitan presents at the 3rd I-mean conference
- Dina Strong presents at the Residence Abroad, Social Networks and Second Language Learning conference
- Fatma Said presents at the 3rd I-mean conference
- Ron Peek presents at the Ninth International Symposium on Bilingualism (ISB9)
- Yvonne Chi presents at the Ninth International Symposium on Bilingualism (ISB9)
- Parvaneh Parvaresh presents at the IATEFL Conference
If you are a registered student within the department or are alumni and would like to add a blog about your student experiences or studies with us please contact our Team Leader, Kevin Michael Smith.