Additional Studentships available to join ISMB PhD Programmes
For entry in Autumn 2017
These 4-year studentships provide opportunities to join one of the interdisciplinary PhD programmes below.
- ISMB Wellcome Trust 4-year Interdisciplinary PhD Programme
- BBSRC London Interdisciplinary Biosciences PhD Consortium
You would receive the same training and would be required to follow the assessment milestones for the programme you joined. For further details about the structure and assessment for these PhD programmes please refer to the links above.
- Deadline for applications: Monday 27 February
- Short-listing: Tuesday 7 March
- Interviews: Wednesday 15 March and Thursday 16 March
- These additional studentships are funded by Birkbeck and UCL.
- Students who accept one of these studentships will be able to study for a PhD with a principal investigator from the institution funding their award or with any joint Birkbeck-UCL member of staff.
- The maximum length of each studentship is 4 years.
- The successful applicant will begin their PhD studies in Autumn 2017 with a tax-free stipend of £16,553 per annum (2017/18 rate) and tuition fees paid in full at the home/EU rate.
- Overseas students are eligible to apply but if successful would need to fund the difference between the home/EU fees and overseas fees for the duration of the award.
- All applicants will be required to satisfy English language entry criteria and a minimum upper-second class (2.1) honours degree (or overseas equivalent) in a relevant subject area.
How to apply
All applicants must submit an online Birkbeck postgraduate application form and a single file containing your current CV and a supporting statement.
Postgraduate application form
Please note the following when completing the online postgraduate application form:
- In the Research proposal section please state 'See CV and supporting statement submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org'.
- If you are unable to complete this section without attaching a file please upload a text file that states 'See CV and supporting statement submitted by email to email@example.com'.
- In the 'Finance' section please state that you are applying for an 'Additional PhD studentship opportunity' where details of any scholarships or grants are requested
- You should include details of your referees and ask them to provide their confidential references by the closing date for applications.
Supporting statement and current CV: You must submit a single .pdf or MS Word file containing a current CV and a one page supporting statement explaining why you wish to join an ISMB PhD programme. Please send these by email as a single file to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have enquiries please contact one of the following people:
- For general questions about the application process please contact the Team Leader in the Biological Sciences Research Office.
- Contact Dr Mark Williams for queries about the BBSRC London Interdisciplinary Biosciences PhD Consortium.
- Contact Professor Alethea Tabor for queries about the ISMB Wellcome Trust 4-year Interdisciplinary PhD Programme