The loans and scholarships you may be eligible for will differ depending on the level you're planning to study:
We also offer a number of scholarships specifically for international students. Some are offered directly by Birkbeck; others are offered in partnership with other organisations.
Birkbeck International Merit Scholarships
- Birkbeck is offering a limited number of merit scholarships to suitably qualified students from Brazil, Indonesia, Japan, Russia, Thailand and Turkey.
- Who may apply: students accepted onto one-year taught Master’s degrees at Birkbeck, starting in September 2018.
- Amount: £2500-£5000.
- General: scholarships may not be held in conjunction with any other Birkbeck-funded/supported scholarship (eg Chevening), or where the fees are fully funded by other sources.
- How to apply: once you have received an offer from Birkbeck, you must email us an essay of no more than 500 words. The essay should detail why you are the ideal candidate to receive the International Merit Scholarship. Recipients will be chosen based on a combination of academic merit and financial need.
- Deadline: applications for merit scholarships must be received by 1 June 2018.
Birkbeck-GREAT Scholarships (India)
- The Birkbeck-GREAT India Scholarship Programme is a joint programme part funded through GREAT funds and through contributions made by Birkbeck. GREAT is a part of the UK Government’s campaign to show the world the best of the UK.
- Scholarship amount: as part of the Birkbeck-GREAT India Scholarship Programme 2018/2019, Birkbeck will be offering a number of jointly funded scholarships worth £5000 each.
- You must have an Indian passport.
- You must have received an unconditional offer letter for your postgraduate course.
- How to apply: once you receive your offer letter, please submit an essay of no more than 500 words on the topic, 'Why are you the ideal candidate to receive the £5000 Birkbeck-GREAT scholarship?' together with your offer letter to Kristyna Kanokova.
- Deadline: applications for the Birkbeck-GREAT scholarship must be received by 1 June 2018.
- Notification of results: the successful candidates will be notified as soon as a decision has been made in June. Once notified, the successful applicants will have one week to accept the scholarship, or it will be offered to another qualified applicant.
- Note: the GREAT scholarship is available for one year only. Find out more information about GREAT scholarship on the British Council website.
- Contact: Kristyna Kanokova.
2018 Santander Scholarships (Latin America)
- In partnership with Santander, Birkbeck is pleased to offer various £5000 scholarships to students from Latin America who will be studying at either undergraduate or postgraduate level at Birkbeck during the 2018/2019 academic year.
- How to apply: to apply for the scholarship, you must first submit an application online for the course you wish to study. After receiving an unconditional offer, you must email us an essay of no more than 500 words with the subject line 'Santander Scholarship Application' answering the following question: Why are you the ideal candidate to receive the scholarship?
- Deadline: applications for Santander Scholarships must be received by 1 June 2018.
- Note: scholarship recipients will be chosen based on academic promise, the essay, your personal statement (submitted with your course application) and need. The £5000 scholarship will be applied towards course tuition fees.
- Contact: International Office
- Commonwealth citizens can apply for a number of different funds under the Commonwealth Scholarship.
Career Experience Scholarships
- This £2500 scholarship is intended for international and EU applicants with significant professional experience (at least three years) who can contribute relevant and practical knowledge to the classroom.
- How to apply: outstanding Master’s level students can apply for these scholarships by submitting an essay of no more than 1000 words to the International Office, detailing previous work experience, relevance to their future degrees, and how they can apply this to the classroom. This essay and the student's academic transcripts will be reviewed by an academic panel before awarding the scholarships.
- Deadline: applications for the Career Experience Scholarship must be received by 1 June 2018.
World Citizen Talent Scholarships
- This £5000 scholarship is intended for international and EU applicants who can make a significant contribution to the international classroom at Birkbeck.
- How to apply: outstanding Master’s-level students can apply for these scholarships by submitting an essay of no more than 1000 words to the International Office, detailing their cultural background and contribution they wish to make to the university as global citizens. This essay and the student's academic transcripts will be reviewed by an academic panel before awarding the scholarships.
- Deadline: applications for the World Citizen Talent Scholarship must be received by 1 June 2018.
- Birkbeck has participated in the Chevening Scholarships scheme since its inception. Chevening Scholarships are full cost, covering both tuition fees and living costs.
- We welcome applications from all Chevening-eligible countries and have received an increasing number of scholars in recent years across a wide range of subjects, from a wide range of countries.
- Standard Chevening Awards
- Amount: tuition fees and living costs provided by the UK Government (through the Chevening Secretariat), with a contribution towards fees from Birkbeck, University of London.
- Eligible courses: all full-time Master’s degree programmes offered by Birkbeck.
- Number of awards: no limit on number of candidates nominated by Chevening.
- Birkbeck-Chevening Partnership Awards
- Amount: tuition fees provided by Birkbeck; living costs provided by the UK Government (through the Chevening Secretariat).
- Eligible programmes: all full-time one-year Master's degree programmes offered by Birkbeck.
- Number of awards: five per year
- Further information on the Chevening scholarship.
- How to apply: for both types of scholarship, applications should be made through the Chevening website.
- Go to the application page
- Select your country
- Select 'scholarship' as level.
- Now select 'apply for scholarship'.
- All applicants who wish to be considered under the Partnership Scheme as well as the Standard Scheme are encouraged to put Birkbeck as their first preference in their Chevening application. Applicants are also strongly advised to note the Chevening Scholarships timeline and should aim to meet any Birkbeck offer conditions and Chevening Scholarship conditions (eg language proficiency etc) before the end of June 2018.
- When to apply: the application deadline for all scholarships starting in 2018 is 7 November 2017.
- Register your plans with Birkbeck: because Chevening Scholarships have an early application deadline, applicants are encouraged to make early contact with Birkbeck in order to demonstrate to the scholarships panel that they have either made a formal application to Birkbeck or that they have researched options with intent to apply. Aspiring applicants may register their interest by submitting their details.