A small number of accommodation scholarships are available to full-time students at Birkbeck.
Birkbeck / International Students House scholarship
- The Birkbeck/ISH scholarship is offered in partnership with International Students House.
- In June 2016, International Students House selected the recipient of the first ISH/Birkbeck scholarship. The scholarship takes the form of one year of free accommodation at International Students House’s Mary Trevelyan Hall, in a single room. Information about application for the ISH/Birkbeck scholarship will be made available in early 2017.
- Selection criteria:
- Students should be from a developing or emerging country and intending to return there on completion of their studies. Visit the list of developing countries.
- Students must hold an unconditional offer for a full-time course at Birkbeck.
- Preference will be given to postgraduate students.
- Preference will be given to students who are studying a course that will provide skills to assist in the development of their home country.
- Students must have a good proven academic record, with every prospect of success in their study and future careers.
- Preference will be given to students who would otherwise be unable to study/finish their study for financial reasons.
- Students must have a full tuition only scholarship in place from Birkbeck, their Government or a recognised organisation. Please note that students whose scholarship includes living cost expenses are ineligible.
A number of organisations offer external scholarships that Birkbeck students can apply for. Information is given below as a guide only and is not managed by Birkbeck. Please check the organisations’ websites for more details and up-to-date information.
Goodenough House Scholarships
- Goodenough House is a postgraduate-only hall of residence located minutes away from Birkbeck Bloomsbury campus. They offer the following scholarships to students residing in the hall. Applications for Entry Scholarships are made at the same time as submitting your application to live at the College.
- Goodenough Commonwealth Scholarships: £10,000 for one year, only available to Commonwealth nationals (including those from the UK).
- Goodenough International Scholarship: £10,000 for one year, only open to applicants applying from outside the UK.
- The Rowland Scholarship: £8500 for one year, only open to applicants studying on a one-year Masters course.
- Sir Abraham Bailey Scholarship: Up to £7000 over one to three years available to South African nationals. Previous Abraham Bailey Bursars are encouraged to apply.
- Goodenough College American Friends Scholarship: Two scholarships of $5000 are available to US citizens applying from outside the UK (minorities are encouraged to apply).
- Goodenough Family Scholarships: A single person or a couple with one or more children can apply to the family scholarship. This will take the form of two scholarships for £5000 per year for one year only, and one scholarship of £5000 per year for up to four years.
- Education Scholarship: £2000 for one year, open to applicants undertaking a Master's or PhD in the field of education.
- Goodenough PhD Scholarships: £5000 per year for up to four years to successful applicants enrolled on or due to start a PhD course (or enrolled on an MPhil course with the intention to upgrade to a PhD)
- Heuer-Monaghan Marshall Residential Scholarship: This scholarship is available to applicants and residents of the College who are in receipt of a Marshall Scholarship.
- Goodenough PhD Scholarships: £5000 per year for up to four years for students enrolled on or due to start a PhD course (or enrolled on an MPhil course with the intention to upgrade to a PhD)
- Goodenough Scholarships: Any resident in financial need can apply to one of the ten £2000 scholarships.
London Goodenough Association of Canada (LGAC)
- The LGAC is the Goodenough House Alumni organisation in Canada. The scholarships are for Canadian graduate students studying in London and living at Goodenough College. Application is directly to the LGAC. Download an application form. Six or more scholarships of up to £5400 are available.