Pioneer (previously BECCA) is a dedicated, extra-curricular course for students who are interested in enterprise and entrepreneurship and who want to develop the knowledge and skills to excel as an entrepreneur.
The course provides a starting point for those with an idea or concept, or those wanting to set up their own business in the future, as well as fundamental support when entering start-up competitions.
How much of my time is required?
- Pioneer is an eight-part course, with a monthly workshop between November and June.
- When signing up, you commit to attending a minimum of six workshops. Plus, you’ll have the chance to submit an application to take part in our final competition.
- Workshop dates:
- Saturday 18 November: Pioneer Launch - Creativity and Innovation
- Saturday 9 December: Your Inner Entrepreneur
- Saturday 6 January: Lean Business
- Saturday 10 February: Marketing Matters
- Saturday 17 March: Pitch Perfect
- Saturday 21 April: Sources of Finance
- Saturday 12 May: Take off
- Competition and awards to be held in June (date TBC)
What does the Course involve?
- Every month focuses on a different skill or knowledge area including innovation, business planning, pitching, sources of finance, and more. You will work in teams to develop a business idea, using the knowledge gained in each session.
- The course culminates in a competition; you submit your business idea and those who are shortlisted pitch to a panel of judges, with the winners taking fantastic prizes.
- The workshops are delivered primarily by entrepreneurs and external professionals, who offer rich insights into running a business.
- Watch one of our past students talk about the course.
How do I Sign up?
- Registration for Pioneer is through your My Birkbeck Profile.
- Log in to your MyBirkbeck Profile.
- Select the 'Action' drop-down.
- Choose 'Enrol on a short course'.
- Click 'Enrol now'.
- Search for 'Pioneer’.
- Check the small box then select the first session in the drop-down.
- Click 'Add checked modules to my selections'.
- Click 'Proceed'.