We provide comprehensive careers advice, events and information services for current students, both in person and online, and for recent Birkbeck alumni. We can help you to:
- find information on training opportunities and part time work
- feel supported in your job search
- get career advice through our one-to-one advice and coaching sessions
More detailed information about our support is outlined below:
- Workshops are open to all current students, graduates and alumni.
- As the only college dedicated to evening study, we appreciate a greater degree of flexibility is required when organising the workshops. We endeavour to ensure that our events are run in a similar way and each term offers the chance to attend events which may have clashed with teaching previously.
- The wide range of workshops delivered cover crucial employability topics tailored to the students at Birkbeck.
- Events frequently feature guest speakers from industry or from partner organisations with specialised expertise.
Online careers and employability support service
- As a current Birkbeck student, you can access a wealth of rich content via our online careers and employability support service.
- The service is designed to update you on all information related to careers and employability and also to enable you to register for updates on resources, including: strategic career action plans, online CV builder, free webinars, interview simulator exercises and tests, works skills and e-learning, industry reports and downloadable PDFs.
- How to login: You can access the service via My Birkbeck. Login using your Birkbeck username and password.
- Please note that by using the service you are agreeing to .
Students' Employability Space / Employability advisor
- We are located within the Student Centre in the Birkbeck main building in Torrington Square. You can browse the resource available online, via our iPads, as well as print material within the area.
- Our Employability Advisor is also available for quick queries within the area. This can include having your CV reviewed for specific roles you may be applying for or to get advice on upcoming interviews. We hope to see you there.
- If you would like to speak to someone to help you identify information, actions and resources to help you further, you can book a 1:1 session with one of our employability consultants by contacting us or speaking to our Employability Advisor in the Employability Space in the Birkbeck main building in Torrington Square.
- The appointments last 30 minutes and take place in the afternoons on Monday to Friday depending on the availability of staff and slots.
Get help finding work
- Whether you're looking for work to fit around your studies, or a role for when you graduate, we recommend signing up with Birkbeck Talent, an innovative recruitment service dedicated to matching your skills with internships and roles with London's top employers.
Additional support for PhD students
- Birkbeck Careers and Employability provide a comprehensive service designed to offer support to all of our students, regardless of their level of study. This includes tailored workshops embedded in a number of courses. PhD students also have the chance to join our annual PhD student exclusive employability programme; this features during terms 2 and 3 and is bookable via our main events page.
Volunteering opportunities and experience
- Volunteering abroad: Original Volunteers provides placements in developing countries which can be tailored to course and career preferences from subjects as diverse as management and business to geography and environment.
- Business and management connections: Placements in Africa are available for those who would like to develop further their organisational, leadership, entrepreneurial and management skills in a developing country. Choose from working alongside our programme managers to help lead projects or help start and support local small enterprises.
- Contact us for more information.