Entry requirements for BA/BSc/LLB degrees
Birkbeck will consider all applications for admission, even if you do not have any formal qualifications.
Entry requirements if you are over 21
- If you are 21 or over, we can waive the requirement for formal qualifications, and make our own assessment of your skills and knowledge, and decide whether these are sufficient to enable you to succeed in your chosen degree programme.
Entry requirements if you are under 21
- If you are under 21, you will need to meet normal university entry requirements as well as be at least 18 years of age. You must fulfil the formal general entrance requirement with a recognised school-leaving or professional qualification or equivalent - for example:
- two subjects at A-level
- one subject at A-level plus two at AS-level
- four subjects at AS-level
- Scottish Highers: five passes (one B and four Cs, or better)
- Irish Leaving Certificate (Honours or Higher level): five subjects (one B and four Cs, or better)
- American College Board Advanced Placement examinations: two subjects at grade 4 or 5 Higher National Certificate or Diploma
- BTEC Higher Award
- BTEC Business Award, including two Bs and a C in the final examination
- BTEC Technician Award, including three full units in acceptable subjects at Level III (two with Merit)
- the International Baccalaureate
- the European Baccalaureate
- Many foreign matriculation qualifications, such as the French Baccalauréat, the German Abitur, the Malaysian STPM and the Italian Diploma di Maturità, are also recognised.
- If your particular qualification is not included in the formally approved list, we may still be able to consider your application, subject to the approval of the appropriate College degree committee.
If you have any questions about our admissions requirements, please contact our My Birkbeck helpdesk.