Birkbeck will consider all applications for admission, even if you do not have any formal qualifications. We welcome applications from students with no previous qualifications or those with no recent experience of education.
The University of London requires all its member colleges, including Birkbeck, to set entry requirements for all programmes.
Entry requirements for BA/BSc/LLB degree programmes
- Our students come to us with a wide variety of qualifications and experience, and we believe that the variety that this provides adds to the student experience at Birkbeck. (However, applicants for admission to degree programmes must be at least 18 years of age.)
- You will find the entry requirements for all courses in the online course listings.
- The UCAS tariff score is applicable to you if you have recently studied a qualification which has a UCAS tariff equivalence (including A-levels, IB, GNVQs and BTEC programmes). We also welcome students with Access to HE Diplomas.
- Applicants from partner institutions within the Institutional Partnership Agreement (IPA) are guaranteed an offer at Birkbeck.
Entry requirements for Foundation Degree programmes
- Foundation Degrees are designed specifically for students with no formal qualifications, although applicants for admission to degree programmes must be at least 18 years of age.
- Applicants for admission to Foundation Degree programmes must be at least 18 years of age, but are not required to satisfy the general entry requirements for honours degrees (BA/BSc). Admission is based on the likelihood of your ability to complete the programme successfully and to derive benefit from it.
- We take account of all relevant information, which may include:
- your personal statement
- assessment at interview
- performance in written tasks or other tests set for admission purposes
- other evidence of your performance or potential
- relevant work experience
Accredited Prior Learning
- You may be able to claim exemption from part of your course at Birkbeck:
- if you have studied part of an undergraduate programme elsewhere or hold an undergraduate qualification
- if you have previously studied at university level, or you have equivalent experience
- if you have previously passed a module or modules with similar content on a programme of study taken elsewhere.
- The decision to award Accredited Prior Learning credit is an academic judgement, and all prior learning must be current and appropriately relevant to the module and/or programme
- How to apply for exemption on the basis of Accredited Prior Learning.
Find out more about entry requirements for international students and English language requirements for Birkbeck courses.
Please note: we have partnership agreements with a range of further education colleges, which can help you get a place at Birkbeck.