Information for supervisors
The Birkbeck Graduate Research School supports supervisors by providing essential information and guidance, as well as practical training.
MPhil/PhD supervisions and the supervisory relationship
- Read about MPhil/PhD supervisions and the supervisory relationship from the student's perspective.
- Read about the Training Needs Analysis process.
Training for supervisors
- Book onto one of our training sessions for both new and more experienced MPhil/PhD supervisors.
- The Learning and Organisational Development team in HR also offer useful training for MPhil/PhD supervisors.
Guidelines for the PhD examination process
- Appointing external PhD examiners
- Completing the Nomination of Examiners form
- The PhD Examination Process (for external examiners)
- Code of Practice for Postgraduate Research.
- The Bloomsbury Colleges Group consists of four colleges of the University of London - Birkbeck, the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, the Royal Veterinary College and the School of Oriental and African Studies - and offers PhD studentships, each of three years' duration.
- Birkbeck is a partner within the following PhD Doctoral Training Programmes:
- The Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC): Consortium for the Humanities and the Arts South-East England (CHASE).
- The Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC): The London Interdisciplinary Biosciences Consortium.
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC): UCL, Bloomsbury and East London Doctoral Training Partnership and the Bloomsbury Doctoral Training Centre for the Social Sciences.
- Medical Research Council (MRC): UCL-Birkbeck MRC Doctoral Training Programme.
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC): The London NERC Doctoral Training Programme.
- The Wellcome Trust: Wellcome Trust four-year PhD Interdisciplinary Programme.
- Vitae is a non-profit organisation that has been enhancing the skills and supporting the professional development of researchers for over 45 years. They provide research, training, events, consultancy and resources.
- Birkbeck is an institutional member of Vitae, so you can access their online materials to support MPhl/PhD supervisors (note: you will need to login). They also have extensive information on part-time researchers, which may be of use.