Government student loans for undergraduates

The main source of funding available for new undergraduate students is the student tuition fee loan from the government. If you are eligible you will be able to apply for a loan to cover the full cost of your fees.

Apply now for your student loan

Eligibility criteria

  • To be eligible for a student loan, you should be studying on an undergraduate course (e.g. Foundation Degree, BA/BSc/LLB or a Certificate of Higher Education) and:
  • If you have studied on a course at higher education level previously and want to continue to study on a full-time degree at Birkbeck, this may affect your eligibility for a tuition fee and/or maintenance funding. Please contact Student Finance England for further advice.

What you can apply for

  • Eligible full-time undergraduate students can apply for both a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan.
  • Eligible part-time undergraduate students can apply for a tuition fee loan (from 2018, government maintenance loans will also be available to part-time undergraduate students).
  • If you have been classified as an EU student by Student Finance England, you can apply for a tuition fee loan only (you will not be able to apply for a maintenance loan).
  • Note: when you enrol online for your Birkbeck course (this happens after you have accepted an offer of a place), if you are eligible for a loan, you will be given the option to state that you are applying for a student loan to pay your fees. This will mean that you can enrol on your course without having to make a payment first.

Get help with your application

If you need help with your loan application, please contact Student Finance England.