The Stratford campus experience
Birkbeck has been offering courses in Stratford, east London (E15) for nearly 10 years; we know the place, the people and their priorities. By offering programmes at our state-of-the-art campus, University Square Stratford, we bring Birkbeck’s unique model of evening study closer to people who live and work in east London.
Stratford has undergone a massive redevelopment in recent years and is a thriving hub for creative, new media and digital industries. Universities, museums, international businesses and start-ups are relocating to the area, and it is home to London’s most innovative and energetic thinkers, creators and makers. There are a range of sporting, retail and cultural facilities, including the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, Westfield shopping centre, Theatre Royal Stratford East and the Picturehouse Cinema. Thousands of new homes have been built in the area, so there is a plethora of accommodation options.
University Square Stratford has excellent public transport links and is easily accessible from across London. It offers all the facilities you need, including cafés, student support, study areas and digital resources. Birkbeck students are entitled to use all of the amenities and services at both campuses.
Classes in Stratford are held in the evening, just as they are at our Bloomsbury campus, so your days are free - to study, work, volunteer or just do your own thing.
Build your own Birkbeck experience in Stratford
- At Birkbeck you can choose as much or as little of the standard university experience as you like. The College offers IT facilities and study spaces within University Square Stratford.
- As a student in Stratford you will also have access to all of Birkbeck’s facilities in central London, including access to the library and social facilities, giving you the best of both worlds. You might work during the day, use a modern study space at University Square Stratford or do something different. People are drawn to Birkbeck because we support and enable diverse life choices.
- The combination of evening study and our east London location offers you exceptional opportunities. Our Stratford campus is near Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, Westfield shopping centre and the cultural offerings of the Stratford Picture House, the Theatre Royal and Stratford Circus. The University of East London, UCL and Loughborough University all have campuses nearby and Stratford station gives you quick access to central London, Canary Wharf and Essex.
The world comes into the Birkbeck classroom
- Birkbeck’s flexible yet focused way of learning attracts a special type of student: hard-working, dedicated and determined to improve themselves.
- When you walk into a Birkbeck classroom, you’ll be surrounded by committed, enthusiastic students from all backgrounds, careers and cultures, aged from 18 to 80. The wealth of workplace and real-world experience and opportunities to network and collaborate are unrivalled.
- In many universities, the top academics do not teach undergraduates, but at Birkbeck, they do. We believe our students’ varied experiences enrich our teaching, so we’ll share knowledge and support you, as equals.
- The reasons people choose to study in the evening are as individual and varied as the people you’ll sit next to in class: young people who want to gain experience in the workplace while they study; working Londoners looking for a promotion or career change; people who missed out on university the first time around; or those who are simply passionate about their subject.
- Birkbeck was created nearly 200 years ago to provide university education for working Londoners. We still believe in the power of knowledge to transform lives, so we go out of our way to make education accessible to as wide a community as possible. If you have commitment and ability to study, we’ll help make it happen for you.
Get ahead in your career
- Most of our students work, intern or volunteer during the day, which means that Birkbeck graduates are better placed to get ahead in a competitive job market. They are recognised and highly valued by employers for their maturity, independent-mindedness, focus and determination. That’s why 95% of Birkbeck’s students are in work or further study six months after graduating.
- Birkbeck also has its own professional in-house recruitment agency, Birkbeck Talent, to connect you with London’s top employers for employment opportunities and paid internships.
- The Careers and Employability team offers a range of workshops and events designed to support students prepare for or advance in the workplace. They provide online, and face-to-face support in groups or one-to-one sessions.
School leavers gain workplace experience
- An increasing number of highly motivated school leavers and college students are choosing Birkbeck because they want to boost their careers from the outset, by gaining workplace experience while they study, rather than waiting until they graduate.
- Studying in the evening enables our younger students to experience the workplace, often for the first time, and we provide support and guidance to help those students thrive both during and after their studies.
Families and supporters
- Studying at Birkbeck in the evenings is both enjoyable and intense. For students often balancing study, work and family commitments, the support and pride of parents, partners, children, carers, friends and supporters is often vital to their success.
- At Birkbeck, students gain prestigious University of London degrees from a university ranked in the top 250 worldwide. But what marks us out is our commitment to supporting every one of our students through their university journey, offering on-going practical and emotional support from welfare and support services to our in-house recruitment agency, Birkbeck Talent, which connects students with London’s top employers.
- With your support at home and the extra help we provide at college, our students can change their lives.