What makes Birkbeck so special?
Birkbeck is recognised as being a 'global elite' university, ranking among the top 1 per cent of universities worldwide.
Students from over 120 countries study with us - here are just some of the reasons why:
Prestigious qualifications from a globally recognised institution
- Birkbeck is part of the University of London, having joined in 1920. The University of London was founded by Royal Charter on 28 November 1836 and is the third oldest university in England. The University awarded its first degrees back in 1839 to 29 students. Today more than 22,000 students studying at its 18 prestigious colleges and through its distance learning programme in 180 countries receive University of London degrees each year.
Central London location
- Birkbeck is located in the Bloomsbury district of central London (WC1) within easy reach of:
- world-class research resources, such as the British Library and the British Museum
- world-famous attractions such as Big Ben and the London Eye, and London's West End, which is packed with cinemas and theatres, and the lively bars and restaurants of Soho and Chinatown
- other University of London colleges such as UCL and SOAS
- the University of London central student service, located next to Birkbeck's main building, which boasts a range of social and sporting facilities, including London’s largest indoor swimming pool.
- Our evening teaching model makes us unique among UK universities, as well as giving our students the opportunity to:
- study alongside working UK students, some of whom will have some professional experience in your subject
- explore daytime internship opportunities that may help build your CV and future career
- take advantage of part-time work opportunities during the day (up to a maximum of 20 hours a week)
- make the most of the wealth of study resources and leisure facilities that come with our .
International student diversity
- Birkbeck is where the world comes into the classroom, with around 550 international students from over 120 different countries studying with us. This makes for a diverse and lively classroom and student body, coloured by different perspectives and experiences. Birkbeck has forged partnerships with several institutions overseas and welcomes students from these universities to experience the unique education that it offers.
To our students we are number 1
- Birkbeck was voted number one in London by our students in the National Student Survey 2014. In addition to being voted number one for overall satisfaction, students also ranked Birkbeck number one in London for finding their course intellectually stimulating.
- The university was also shortlisted in the Times Higher Education Awards 2014 for University of the Year. The awards recognise pioneering work in the sector, with Birkbeck being recognised for its work in expanding the offering of full-time 3-year undergraduate programmes.
- As a student at Birkbeck, you won't just be able to take advantage of all of the world-famous attractions which come with our central London location. You'll also find a range of social and leisure opportunities on campus for times when you are not in the lecture theatre, laboratory or library.
- Student Central: as a Birkbeck student, you're automatically entitled to be a member of Student Central (formerly University of London Union), situated right next door. Its facilities include:
- bars and cafes
- a gym
- the largest indoor swimming pool in London
- clubs and societies
- a live music venue.
- International Students' House (ISH): both a student residence and a unique social, cultural and recreational centre, ISH is open 365 days a year with a dedicated events team who organise a whole variety of events.
- Birkbeck Students' Union: BCSU provides a host of student welfare services, clubs and societies, and a student bar.