The Birkbeck experience
A prestigious University of London degree from Birkbeck helps our international students enjoy successful careers worldwide. Birkbeck is a globally recognised, research-intensive university with a difference: all our courses are taught in the evening. This means your days are free to study, work and explore one of the most exciting cities in the world.
Each year we welcome many international students to our central London campus, where you will make friends, gain workplace experience and live the London life.
Birkbeck has been ranked the 50th most international university in the world, placing us in the top 10% in the world out of 800 universities. The Times Higher Education league ranked Birkbeck so highly due to our internationally diverse students and staff and our many international academic collaborations.
Build your own Birkbeck experience
- At Birkbeck you can choose as much or as little of the standard university experience as you like. You might work during the day, study in one of Bloomsbury’s world-famous libraries or do something completely different.
- Our main campus is next to other universities, surrounded by world-famous museums and galleries and in the heart of London. With the West End, Soho, Covent Garden and King’s Cross on our doorstep you can take full advantage of the city’s world-famous shops, restaurants, bars, theatres and clubs before and after your evening classes. Everything that London has to offer is here for you to enjoy.
- In addition, you will have access to the sport facilities, societies, music venues, bars and cafes of Student Central, right next door to our main building in Bloomsbury.
The world comes into the Birkbeck classroom
- Birkbeck attracts a special type of student: hard-working, dedicated and determined to improve themselves.
- At Birkbeck you will be surrounded by committed, enthusiastic students from all backgrounds, careers and cultures, aged from 18 to 80. This wealth of workplace and real-world experience means you can build a wide network of friends and colleagues from the UK and beyond.
- Birkbeck is proud to have a number of strategically important partnerships with some of the world’s leading universities to:
- allow the free exchange of ideas
- promote training for academic staff
- allow overseas students to combine their studies with a Birkbeck degree through progression agreements
London Semester Programme for American students
- The Birkbeck London Semester Programme offers US students the opportunity to spend a semester studying at a world-class university while experiencing the UK capital’s wealth of cultural and social activities. We provide a range of field trips and excursions, including visits to theatres, government buildings, archives and art galleries.
Boost your career
- Our evening teaching allows students to get ahead in highly competitive jobs markets by using their days to work, intern or volunteer. Birkbeck students are highly valued by employers for their maturity, independent-mindedness, focus and determination. That’s why 95% of Birkbeck’s students are in work or further study six months after graduating.
- Our specialist Careers and Employability Service and our professional recruitment agency, Birkbeck Talent, will help you get in to work while you are at Birkbeck and when you graduate.
- Birkbeck is a world-leading university with a vibrant, intellectually challenging and exciting research environment.
- We are placed 30th in the UK for research, with 73% of our research rated 'world leading or 'internationally excellent' (the Research Assessment Framework 2014 research audit of all UK universities). Our academics, like our students, are special people: over 90% are actively involved in research and many are renowned experts in their fields. We are home to 44 research and specialist institutes. Find out more
- Birkbeck also has links with national cultural institutions, including the Tate, the Museum of London and the Institute of Contemporary Arts and is located near to many specialist research centres, including the Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine and the City of London Record Offices.
- Birkbeck Library: Housed across 5 floors of our main building overlooking Torrington Square, the library has over 400 study places while its website provides electronic resources, including e-books, 100+ databases and over 30,000 electronic journals.
- Senate House Library: one of the UK’s largest arts and humanities libraries, containing internationally important collections, is situated right next door to Birkbeck. You can access the library for reference; borrowing depends on which department you are studying with.
- University of London libraries: there are a number of specialist collections near Birkbeck. You can use many of these libraries for reference or, in some cases, borrowing.
- Access scheme: Birkbeck students can use many other libraries in London and throughout the UK.
- The British Library: Birkbeck’s postgraduate students can apply to use the British Library’s famous reading rooms at St Pancras, just 10 minutes’ walk away.
Families and supporters
- For international students the support and pride of families, friends and supporters is often vital to their success.
- At Birkbeck, students gain prestigious University of London degrees from a university ranked in the top 250 worldwide. But what marks us out is our commitment to supporting every one of our students through their university journey, offering on-going practical and emotional support from welfare and support services.