Entry requirements and how to apply
Academic entry requirements
- Master's degrees: For most Master's degrees, we require the equivalent of a UK Bachelor's degree (class 2.1 or 2.2 with honours). You must also meet our minimum English language entry requirements.
- Our approved agents in your country may also be able to advise you on the equivalence of your qualification.
- If you do not know the equivalence of your qualifications, please include as much information as you can in your application, and we will make an assessment of your eligibility.
- MPhil/PhD degrees: for most MPhil/PhD degrees, we require the equivalent of a good UK Master's degree.
- You must also meet our minimum .
- Our approved agents in your country may also be able to advise you on the UK equivalence of your qualification.
- If you do not know the equivalence of your qualifications, please include as much information as you can in your application, and we will make an assessment using our knowledge of different education systems, case studies, and by referring to external benchmarks.
General English language requirements for undergraduate, postgraduate and MPhil/PhD courses
- IELTS 6.5 (with 6.0 in each of the sub tests): Please note we only accept the Academic, not the General Test.
- Trinity College London – Integrated Skills in English: the minimum score required will be ISE II (equivalent to IELTS 5.5); however, admissions tutors may ask for a higher score depending on the course entry requirements - for example ISE III (equivalent to IELTS 7.0).
English requirements for courses in Arts Policy, English Literature, Law and Psychology
- IELTS 7.0 (with 6.5 in each of the sub tests, and at least 7.0 in writing or equivalent): please note we only accept the Academic, not the General Test.
- Trinity College London – Integrated Skills in English: the minimum score required will be ISE III (equivalent to IELTS 7.0).
If you have already studied in English
- Please note that if you require a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK, unless you have already obtained a Bachelor's degree from a 'majority English-speaking country' as defined by the UKVI or are a national of one of these countries, then you will be asked to obtain an English language score equivalent to IELTS 5.5, with at least 5.5 in each subtest.
If you are still improving your English
- It is possible to apply to Birkbeck while you are working to improve your English, as long you reach our minimum requirements by the time you start your course.
- It may sometimes be possible to be accepted onto an academic programme with less than the above scores on the condition that you attend a pre-sessional programme approved by Birkbeck. Each case will be considered on its own merits.
How to apply for your course
- Birkbeck offers full-time courses to international students at a variety of levels, in a wide range of subject areas. This section contains all the information you need to apply for your chosen course, including who you can speak if you have any questions about your application.
- Undergraduate courses: you need to apply for our full-time undergraduate courses via UCAS.
- Postgraduate courses: you can apply for your postgraduate course online through the course description for your chosen course.
- MPhil/PhD study: before you apply for an MPhil/PhD degree, you will need to establish that one of our academics is able to provide appropriate supervision for your research. Once you find a potential supervisor, you should contact the department they are based in to check to see whether they are able to provide appropriate supervision for your research.