Choosing the right course
You can start at the level that’s right for you, depending on your previous educational experience or qualifications. You can find information about courses at all levels of study in our online course listings.
If you need help deciding which undergraduate course would suit you best, come along to one of our Get Started workshops.
- We offer over 200 introductory short courses. Usually taught on one evening a week, many are part of a Certificate of Higher Education, so you can build up credits to complete a certificate if you wish.
- Read more about our short courses.
Certificates of higher education
- Certificates are stand-alone University of London qualifications, which also offer a flexible route into university. They are taught at first-year degree level and comprise a mixture of compulsory and option modules.
- You can build up your credits to progress to degree study at Birkbeck if you wish. Certificates are usually taught on just one evening a week.
- Read more about our certificates of higher education.
- Foundation degrees offer a route into university for those with no formal qualifications who want to develop the professional knowledge and skills to work in a particular field.
- Taught in the evenings, they don’t usually have any entry requirements, but it is advisable that you can read, write and speak English fluently.
- You can complete a Foundation Degree in two years full-time or two years and two terms part-time.
- Many include a top-up element that allows you to go on to complete a full BA/BSc degree.
Undergraduate degrees with foundation year (BA, BSc and LLB)
- The majority of our BA, BSC and LLB degrees include a foundation year route, to prepare you for a full-time undergraduate degree.
- They are ideal if you do not meet the entry requirements for your chosen undergraduate degree, or if you would like extra help and support to succeed at university.
Undergraduate degrees (BA, BSc and LLB)
- We offer over 100 BA, BSc and LLB evening study degrees and, in many subjects, you can choose to complete your studies full-time over three years or part-time over four years. We also offer some degrees part-time over six years as well.
- These courses are taught at final-year undergraduate level and are typically used as a qualifying or refresher course before you embark on a full Master’s degree programme.
- They also provide a useful entry route to postgraduate-level study if you have significant work experience or a professional background that is relevant to a particular course of study.
- Taught at a higher level than graduate certificates/diplomas, these courses are ideal if you want to undertake Master's level study without completing a dissertation.
- You will usually take exactly the same modules that form the equivalent Master's degree, but you complete fewer modules and don't write a dissertation.
Master’s degrees (MA, MSc, LLM)
- You can choose from over 150 MA, MSc and LLM courses, most of which are taught face-to-face, but a few of which (MRes degrees, for example) allow you to concentrate on your research.
research degrees (MRes, MPhil and PhD)
- We offer research in over 40 subject areas, under the supervision of world-renowned researchers, thinkers and practitioners.
- Birkbeck is a world-leading research university, with a vibrant research culture.
- Read more about the types of research degree we offer, including MRes, MPhil and PhD.