Choosing the right course
You can start at the level that’s right for you, depending on your previous educational experience or qualifications.
You can find information about courses at all levels of study in our online prospectus.
If you need help deciding which undergraduate course would suit you best, come along to one of our Get Started workshops.
Pathways into study and progression routes
At undergraduate level, we offer a number of entry-level courses that also offer pathways onto a full BA, BSc or LLB undergraduate degree, including:
- short courses
- certificates of higher education
- foundation degrees
- undergraduate degrees with a foundation year.
At postgraduate level, we offer courses to help you make the transition from undergraduate to postgraduate study, especially if you need a refresher or qualifying course or are changing subject from your undergraduate degree:
- graduate certificate/diplomas
- postgraduate certificates/diplomas.
- We offer over 200 introductory short courses. Most are taught on just one evening a week, so they are easy to fit into your busy schedule, and the majority have no formal entry requirements.
- Many short courses modules form part of a certificate of higher education, so you can build up credits to complete a full certificate if you wish. Nearly all of our certificates of higher education offer a pathway onto an associated undergraduate degree or degrees.
- Read more about our short courses.
Certificates of higher education
- Certificates are stand-alone University of London qualifications, which also offer a flexible route into university. They are taught at first-year degree level, comprising a mixture of compulsory and option modules, and they are usually taught on just one evening a week.
- Nearly all of our certificates of higher education offer a pathway onto an associated undergraduate degree or degrees, so you can build up your credits to progress to degree study at Birkbeck, if you wish.
- Read more about our certificates of higher education.
- Foundation degrees offer a route into university for those with no formal qualifications who want to develop the professional knowledge and skills to work in a particular field.
- Taught in the evenings, they don’t usually have any entry requirements, but it is advisable that you can read, write and speak English fluently.
- You can complete a foundation degree in two years full-time or two years and two terms part-time.
- Many include a top-up element that allows you to go on to complete a full BA/BSc degree with one extra year of study.
- Find out more about our foundation degrees.
Undergraduate degrees with foundation year (BA, BSc and LLB)
- The majority of our BA, BSC and LLB degrees include a foundation year route, to prepare you for the first year of a full-time undergraduate degree.
- They are ideal if you do not meet the entry requirements for your chosen undergraduate degree: the UCAS tariff for a degree with foundation year ranges from 48 to 64 (A-level grades of DD/DDE or equivalent).
- These courses are also suitable if you feel you need extra help and support to succeed at university.
- You will spend one year undertaking compulsory modules to prepare you for studying a full undergraduate degree, before advancing into the first year of a full-time undergraduate degree at Birkbeck.
- Some degrees with foundation year offer progression onto a wide range of undergraduate degrees, while others offer pathways onto one or two specific, associated degrees.
- Find out more about our degrees with foundation years.
Undergraduate degrees (BA, BSc and LLB)
- We offer over 100 BA, BSc and LLB evening study degrees and, in many subjects, you can choose to complete your studies full-time over three years or part-time over four years. We also offer some degrees part-time over six years as well.
- Full-time undergraduate degrees carry a UCAS tariff, which can range from 96 points (A-level grades of CCC or equivalent) to 120 (A-level grades of ABB/BBB or equivalent).
- Part-time undergraduate degrees usually have fewer formal entry requirements, although there may be GCSE or A-level requirements on some courses. You will need to demonstrate the ability and willingness to undertake a degree.
- Find out more about our undergraduate degrees.
- These courses are taught at final-year undergraduate level and are typically used as a qualifying or refresher course before you embark on a full Master’s degree.
- They also provide a useful entry route to postgraduate-level study if you have significant work experience or a professional background that is relevant to a particular course of study.
- Find out more about our graduate certificates and diplomas.
- Taught at a higher level than graduate certificates/diplomas, these courses are ideal if you want to undertake Master's-level study without completing a dissertation.
- You will usually take exactly the same modules that form the equivalent Master's degree, but you complete fewer modules and don't write a dissertation.
- Find out more about our postgraduate certificates and diplomas.
Master’s degrees (MA, MSc, LLM)
- You can choose from over 150 MA, MSc and LLM courses, most of which are taught face-to-face, but a few of which (MRes degrees, for example) allow you to concentrate on your research.
- Find out more about our Master's degrees.
research degrees (MRes, MPhil and PhD)
- We offer research in over 40 subject areas, under the supervision of world-renowned researchers, thinkers and practitioners.
- Birkbeck is a world-leading research university, with a vibrant research culture.
- Read more about the types of research degree we offer, including MRes, MPhil and PhD.