For enquiries concerning the location of specific offices or individuals within Birkbeck, please contact the main telephone switchboard.
Central London campus
Birkbeck, University of London
Malet Street, Bloomsbury
London WC1E 7HX
1 Salway Road
How to get to our central London campus
By public transport
- Birkbeck is surrounded by tube and mainline rail stations: we are close to Russell Square, Tottenham Court Road, King's Cross and Euston - check our interactive map.
- Many bus routes pass down nearby Gower Street or go via Russell Square. To plan your journey to Birkbeck using public transport, see the Transport for London Journey Planner.
On your bike
- An extensive network of cycle routes lead to Birkbeck, and there are ample cycle rack facilities around the Malet Street building including a number of lockable cycle bins.
In your car
- If you are planning your journey by car, please bear in mind congestion charges; our central London location also means that parking facilities are not only limited but may be expensive.
- View driving directions from your location to our main building in Malet Street.
From the airport(s)
- Those of you who are flying in to London Heathrow may wish to note that you can take the Underground (Piccadilly Line, East Bound) to King's Cross or Russell Square from where you can take a taxi to Birkbeck.
- For those flying in to Gatwick, we suggest you take the 'Gatwick Express' to Victoria Station, then take a taxi.
- Planning your initial journey on arrival will depend largely where you will stay in London. Useful web sites include:
How to get to Birkbeck in Stratford
- Our University Square campus is 5 minutes' walk from Stratford Station, which has excellent transport links, including DLR, Tube, rail and bus services.
Parking in central London
- Please note that the central precinct is within the congestion charge zone.
- The car parks are managed by Facilities Management at the University of London in Senate House.
- Staff parking: As of October 2014, due to extensive building works around Senate House, which have greatly reduced the number of car parking spaces available, the University of London is no longer issuing new car parking permits. Staff already holding a permit should contact Chris Terrey with any queries, on 020 7631 6257 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student parking: There are no public car parking facilities at Senate House, but there are NCP facilities nearby at Woburn Place and Bloomsbury Place.
Parking for Green Badge holders
- 'Disabled driver' badge holders may apply for a green badge from Camden Council (020 7278 4444),
- To obtain a Green Badge you need to:
- collect an application form from the disability co-ordinator and complete the form
- send the form to Camden Council along with two passport-size photos and a letter of support from Birkbeck
- Please contact the Disability Office if you want help with your application.
- An area for motorbike parking is reserved inside the front entrance of the car park between the Birkbeck Main Building and Senate House (North Block).
- Enquiries should be made to Facilities Management at the University of London in Senate House.
- A bicycle store is provided in the covered area between the Birkbeck main building and the University of London Union. In addition, you will find bike hoops throughout the Birkbeck precinct. For more information, please contact the Birkbeck Students' Union.