bloomsbury (Central London) campus
Birkbeck, University of London
Malet Street, Bloomsbury
London WC1E 7HX.
Stratford (east london) campus
1 Salway Road
- Our main campus in Bloomsbury, central London is open from 9am-9pm Monday to Friday, during term time. The main building is also open on weekends, and some of our services are available then.
Travel to our Bloomsbury (central London) campus by public transport
- Birkbeck is surrounded by Tube and mainline rail stations: we are close to Russell Square, Tottenham Court Road, King's Cross/St Pancras and Euston.
- Many buses pass down nearby Gower Street or go via Russell Square.
- To plan your journey to Birkbeck using public transport, see the Transport for London Journey Planner.
Travel to our Bloomsbury (central London) campus on your bike
- An extensive network of cycle routes lead to Birkbeck, and there are ample cycle rack facilities around the Malet Street building, including a number of lockable cycle bins.
Travel to our Bloomsbury (central London) campus by car
- If you are planning your journey by car, please bear in mind that the Congestion Charge applies, while central London parking facilities are both limited and often expensive.
- View driving directions from your location to our main campus on Malet Street.
- See below for more information on parking on and around our main campus in Bloomsbury.
Travel to our Bloomsbury (central London) campus from the airport(s)
- If you are flying into London Heathrow, you can take the Underground (Piccadilly Line, eastbound) to King's Cross/St Pancras or to Russell Square, both of which are close to Birkbeck.
- If you are flying into Gatwick, you can take a fast train to Victoria or a slower train to King's Cross/St Pancras. You can reach Birkbeck via public transport from Victoria, while King's Cross/St Pancras is close by.
- Planning your initial journey on arrival will depend largely where you will stay in London. Useful websites include:
How to get to Birkbeck in Stratford (east london)
- Our University Square campus is five minutes' walk from Stratford Station, which has excellent transport links, including the Docklands Light Railway (DLR), Tube, rail and bus services.
Car parking in Bloomsbury (central London)
- Our Bloomsbury (central London) campus is within the Congestion Charge zone, which drivers have to pay to enter.
- Our carparks are managed by Facilities Management at the University of London in Senate House.
- Staff parking: the number of carpark spaces is very limited and the University of London is no longer issuing new parking permits. Staff already holding a permit should email Chris Terrey or phone 020 7631 6257.
- Student parking: there are no public parking facilities on campus, but there are NCP facilities nearby at Woburn Place and Bloomsbury Place, which you will have to pay for.
Parking for disabled students
- Disabled drivers who hold a blue badge also have to apply for a green badge from Camden Council to park near our Bloomsbury campus.
- To obtain a green badge you need to:
- collect an application form from our Disability and Dyslexia Service
- send the form to Camden Council, along with two passport-size photos and a letter of support from Birkbeck.
- Please contact the Disability and Dyslexia Service if you need help with your application.
- There is space for motorbike parking on our Bloomsbury campus.
- Contact Facilities Management at the University of London in Senate House if you would like to park a motorbike on campus.
- A bicycle store is provided in the covered area between the Birkbeck main building and Student Central (formerly the University of London Union).
- In addition, you will find bike hoops around Birkbeck's Bloomsbury campus. For more information, please contact Birkbeck's Students' Union.