Other libraries for the chemical sciences
Libraries that are useful for chemists include :-
Birkbeck students can use UCL libraries for reference. MPhil and PhD students and staff can apply for a borrowing ticket. See the Guide to using UCL Libraries for more details. The main UCL library for Science is:
- UCL Science Library - DMS Watson Building, Malet Place, WC1 Tel: 020 7679 7795
Other Libraries in the Bloomsbury area:
- British Library, 96 Euston Road, NW1 Reader Information 020-7412-7677 Science Reading Rooms 020 7412 7288/7494
The British Library provides online access to Chemical Abstracts and the Crossfire (Beilstein and Gmelin) database in the reading rooms
- Royal Society of Chemistry Library Burlington House, Piccadilly, London W1. Tel 020 7440 3373
SCONUL Access Scheme
Part-time students, full-time taught postgraduates, research students and staff may borrow from the libraries of over 140 UK higher education institutions via this scheme. Apply at the Library help desk or send the application form to Birkbeck library.
Other useful links include:
- Union List of Serials - searches the journal holdings of the majority of University of London college and research institute libraries.
- COPAC - the combined catalogues of 20 major UK research libraries, including Oxford and Cambridge.
- InforM25 - search across the catalogues of all the libraries in the M25 area, also gives links to their web sites and details of which subjects they specialise in
- SUNCAT includes journal information from almost 50 UK libraries, including the British Library, the National Libraries of Scotland and Wales, some of the largest Higher Education institutions in the UK and an increasing number of specialist libraries
Click on the Other Libraries tab at the top of the page for further information
We also have an Interlibrary Loan service for items that you can not find locally