Using other libraries
As a Birkbeck student or member of staff you are entitled to use many other libraries, both in London and throughout the UK. We are members of various access schemes, some of which are detailed below. The links in the left-hand menu provide more information about individual libraries.
- You should always consult websites of individual libraries before visiting to check opening hours and arrangements for visitors.
- You will need to show your Birkbeck ID card when visiting other libraries.
- Birkbeck ID cards do not usually show an expiry date, so you may need additional documentation providing your end of course or end of contract date.
- Always check joining instructions before you visit in case you need to take additional items such as photographs or proof of address.
- You are strongly advised to join the SCONUL Access Scheme before visiting other libraries. More details are below.
SCONUL Access Scheme
- Birkbeck part-time students, full-time taught postgraduates, research students and staff may borrow from the libraries of over 180 UK higher education institutions via the SCONUL Access scheme.
- Certificate of Higher Education students enrolled on a course equal to or greater than 60 CATS points are also eligible to join this scheme.
- Apply online. A guide on how to apply is available .
- Affiliate members, including Be Birkbeck and Third Party Users, are not eligible to join this scheme via Birkbeck.
University of London Access Agreement
- Birkbeck students can gain reference access to other University of London libraries; research students and academic staff can borrow from some institutions.
- Always check websites of individual libraries for access arrangements before visiting, as some libraries may be closed to visitors at busy times of the year.
- Different libraries may require you to bring different forms of documentation or ID, so always check before you visit.
- Students may need to take a Certificate of Enrolment bearing their course details. This can be obtained from 'My Birkbeck' student centre.
- Check the University of London website for a list of colleges and institutes.
- University of London Access Agreement
University of East London, Stratford campus
- Birkbeck students enrolled on courses based in Stratford at the University Square Stratford building may use the Birkbeck Collection held in the UEL Library Stratford, and IT facilities and services in the University Square Stratford building.
- Other Birkbeck students and staff can use UEL Library via the SCONUL Access Scheme