Visitors will not have access to computers (other than for checking the library catalogue and website) or printing facilities.
Where licences permit, visitor access to some electronic resources is available through a standalone workstation next to the Help Desk in the Library.
- This service may not be available at times during July 2015 due to changes to the local network. Please contact the Library Help Desk before making a special journey.
Children are allowed into the Library if accompanied and under the age of 16.
The following can join Birkbeck Library as affiliate members:
- Students registered elsewhere but taking a Birkbeck course
- Birkbeck alumni (more details for alumni)
- Staff and students from the University of London and other UK publicly-funded higher education, M25 and SCONUL institutions
- Honorary Life Members, Governors of Birkbeck
- Visiting Fellows and Research Fellows - application in writing to the Director of Library Services
- Overseas researchers on application in writing to the Director of Library Services. Please note that we cannot prepare letters of invitation for overseas researchers.
The services available to you will vary according to membership type, see our guide for affiliate members (link below) for details.
Outside of the summer vacation, if you are eligible for free library membership you must apply for a Library membership card before you may use the Library (application form below) and will need to provide a passport-sized photograph for this.
During the summer vacation you may apply for a one-day reference pass by showing your home institution ID (and other photo ID if this does not bear a photo).
See our Guide for Affiliate Members (below) for more details
A unique scheme designed to extend Birkbeck’s community. Be Birkbeck will enable you to engage with the latest academic developments across a range of fields, exchange ideas with like-minded people and discuss and debate ideas. For further information.
Inspire / Inspire London
Visitors may be referred to Birkbeck Library under the Inspire/ Inspire London scheme for reference use of our collections. To use Inspire, readers should apply via their local public or college library who will provide documentation confirming eligibility. Alternatively applications may be made via the Director of Library Services. Restrictions may apply during examination periods. For more information see the Inspire web site: http://inspire-libraries.org.uk/
External members - for organisations only
This membership allows use of most materials in the library and may include limited borrowing by the organisation’s members. It does not include access to the Library’s electronic resources or PCs in the Library. Please contact the User Support Manager.
Other visitors may purchase a one-day reference pass for £6. You will need to show personal photo ID. No refunds are given for day passes so please ensure that we have what you want before purchasing one.