Birkbeck Law Press
Birkbeck Law Press was launched in 2003 as an imprint of Birkbeck School of Law and Cavendish Publishing.
Birkbeck Law School has been recognised as an international centre of research excellence, specialising in legal theory and theoretically informed sociolegal research and pioneering critical approaches to scholarship. Cavendish Publishing, one of the UK’s leading independent law publishers, has recently been incorporated into Routledge as Routledge-Cavendish.
Birkbeck Law Press aims to develop a distinct publishing profile by addressing the legal challenges of late modernity. Globalisation and the move towards universal legal values, which should respect cultural specificities and local conditions, has created the urgent need for greater dialogue and understanding between the major schools of thought and legal systems in the world. Most legal publishing, driven by the needs of specialisation and the state-based nature of positive law, has not systematically addressed these concerns.
Most recent publication: Stone, M., Wall, I and Douzinas, C. New Critical Legal Thinking: Law, Politics and the Political. Publised: 28 June 2012
Forthcoming: Chiara Bottici and Benoit Challand (eds) The Politics of Imagination. Publication date: November 2012. ISBN: 978-0415601542.
Lyana Francot & Bald de Vries, Anarchy in the System – Law and Power in a Global World. Publication date: 1 June 2013
Ortega, F. Corporeality, Medical Technologies and Contemporary Culture Publication date: 10 October 2013.
- Submit your completed book proposal form to Professor Costas Douzinas, School of Law, Birkbeck, University of London, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HX.
- Birkbeck Law Press book proposal form
- Chiara Bottici and Benoit Challand (eds) The Politics of Imagination. Publication date: November 2012. ISBN: 978-0415601542.
- Lyana Francot & Bald de Vries, Anarchy in the System – Law and Power in a Global World. Publication date: 1 June 2013
- Francisco Ortega, Corporeality, Medical Technologies and Contemporary Culture Publication date: 10 October 2013. ISBN: 978-0-415-59322-9.
- Matthew Stone, Illan rua Wall, Costas Douzinas, New Critical Legal Thinking: Law, Politics and the Political. Published: 28 June 2012.
- Katherine Maynard, Jarod Kearney, James Guimond, Revenge versus Legality: Wild Justice from Balzac to Clint Eastwood and Abu Ghraib Published 8 April 2010, ISBN: 978-0-415-56016-0
- Paulina Tambakaki, Human Rights, Or Citizenship? Published 25 January 2010, ISBN: 978-0-415-48163-2
- Tarik Kochi, The Other's War: Recognition and the Violence of Ethics Published in February 2009. ISBN: 978-0-415-48270-7 The Other's War was recently awarded a prize by the International Studies Association (International Ethics Section).
- Michael Stolleis: The Eye of the Law: Two Essays on Legal History Published in September 2008. ISBN: 9780415472746
- Oscar Guardiola-Rivera: Being Against the World: Rebellion and ConstitutionPublished in July 2008, ISBN: 9780415459464 (Nominated for the Frantz Fanon Award. The prize is awarded by the Caribbean Philosophical Association).
- Jeanne Schroeder: The Four Lacanian Discourses Or Turning Law Inside-Out Published in June 2008, ISBN: 9780415464826
- Judith Pryor, Constitutions: Writing Nations, Reading Difference Published in August 2007. ISBN: 9780415431934
- Jack Anderson, Punch Drunk Love: The Legality of Boxing Published in April 2007, ISBN: 9780415429320
- Johan van der Walt, Law and Sacrifice: Towards a Post-Apartheid Theory of Law Published in November 2005, ISBN: 1859419879
- Louis E Wolcher, Beyond Transcendence in Law and Philosophy Published in September 2005, ISBN: 9781859419885
- William Rasch, Sovereignty and its Discontents: On the Primacy of Conflict and the Structure of the Political Published in August 2004, ISBN: 9781859419885