Get Started is a monthly event, consisting of three interactive workshops. The workshops outlined below are designed to provide undergraduate students with information, advice and guidance for applying to university, with a focus on applying to Birkbeck.
Workshop 1: Preparing to study
- This workshop examines the benefits of higher education. We ask students to consider their personal motivations for studying. In turn, we identify possible challenges and ask students to present realistic solutions, to ensure that all are prepared for university study.
- We explore what is expected of students, and give information about ; including study skills and disability support.
- The workshop enables students to put plans in place to ensure they hit the ground running when they start their course.
Workshop 2: Student finance, funding and loans
- This session introduces prospective students to the student loans and financial support available from the government, and how to apply for them.
- This session will also outline Birkbeck’s bursary packages, available for students who are most in need.
- The final section of the workshop focuses on the student loans repayment process, detailing when repayment commences, interest applied and typical proportions of repayment.
Workshop 3: Making an application to Birkbeck
- We appreciate that the university application process can seem daunting. This workshop gives an overview of how to make an application to Birkbeck, and offers practical advice to help students demonstrate their experience and commitment to their subject.
- The workshop is not subject-specific, and does not give feedback on individual personal statements, but aims to give students the knowledge and technique to be able to produce a successful Personal Statement.
- Birkbeck has a personal statement tool, which all prospective students are welcome to use, to provide a framework for writing a clear and comprehensive personal statement.
The workshops are free and open to all, and we welcome prospective undergraduate students who are at all different stages of the university application process: from those simply considering the prospect of study, to those who have decided on their course and are ready to apply.
To model Birkbeck teaching hours, Get Started takes place either on a Thursday from 6pm to 9pm, or a Saturday from 11am to 2pm. All events take place at Birkbeck’s main building in Torrington Square. Visit our calendar to find out when the next Get Started workshop is, and to register.