Skip to main content

Withdrawing from your studies

If you feel you want or need to withdraw from your course, we hope you will talk to us first. Students choose to withdraw for a wide range of reasons and we may be able to make arrangements to help you complete your course. You should definitely speak to your Personal Tutor or Programme Administrator to let them know what's going on, so they can properly support you. 

We also offer a range of services that can help if you are struggling: 

programme enrolments

  • If you decide to withdraw from your course before it's completed, you must do so via My Birkbeck:
    • On the homepage of My Birkbeck, select the profile tab on the menu option, then select change my study status from the drop-down list.
    • This will give you the option to defer or fully withdraw. 
  • You will receive confirmation by email that your request has been submitted and we will email you again when the request has been completed.
  • Find out about refunds.

modular enrolment modules

  • If you decide to withdraw from any of your modules before you have completed them, you must notify the College in writing (preferably by email) through your academic school or department. (To find the best person to write to, please contact your Programme Administrator.)
  • In your correspondence, you must include the following details:
    • your full name and student number
    • the full title of the programme you are withdrawing from
    • how you paid for the course (including if you have applied for/received through PTG1/Government funding) 
    • your reason(s) for withdrawing.
  • Find out about refunds.

The impact on your student loan