Skip to main content

Working in the UK

Working while studying

As nearly all of our teaching takes place in the evening, Birkbeck students can work part-time during the day. Not only does this help you to manage your finances while you are studying, but it also enables you to gain experience of the UK workplace and working practices. 

Student visa restrictions

  • If you are studying a Bachelor's degree, you are permitted to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during term time. If you are studying an English pre-sessional course, you are permitted to work a maximum of 10 hours per week during term time. For both Bachelor's degree study and pre-sessionals, you can work full time outside of the term dates.
  • If you are studying a master's degree, postgraduate diploma, or a PhD, you are expected to study for the full calendar year, and therefore, the term-date exceptions apply. This means you will be restricted to working a maximum of 20 hours per week.
  • If you are a non-EEA national who holds another type of visa, or if you are a EEA national without a settled status in the UK, you should ensure that you abide by any restrictions indicated on your visa. 

Working in the United Kingdom

  • If you are in the UK as a student visitor or visitor, you are not permitted to work. This includes paid or unpaid work and work placements. 
  • Although as a student you can take most kinds of work, you must not:
    • be self-employed or undertake business activity
    • be employed as a professional sportsperson or sports coach 
    • be employed as an entertainer 
    • take a permanent full-time job 
    • work as a doctor or dentist in training. 
  • Full-time undergraduate and postgraduate study at Birkbeck is intensive. To be sure that your studies won't suffer, please talk to your course tutor if you are thinking about working during the day while studying in the evening at Birkbeck. 

Definition of term-time

  • It is important to note that 'term-time' is any period when you are supposed to be doing academic work: when you should be attending lectures, preparing for examinations or a viva, doing coursework, and writing essays, a dissertation or a thesis.
  • Vacation is usually around Christmas and Easter holidays and during the summer, after completing all your examinations and/or submission of your dissertation. Find out more about term dates.
  • Postgraduate students are usually permitted to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the summer, though there are exceptions.

Careers support for international students

  • Many international students plan to work in the UK either during their studies or following graduation. Contact our Careers and Enterprise Service for more information working in the UK, during your studies and after you graduate. 

Do I need a National Insurance number? How can I get one?

  • A National Insurance number is unique to you and is used to make sure that the National Insurance contributions and tax you pay are properly recorded against your name. 
  • You don’t need a National Insurance number to look for jobs, but once you are offered a job you must telephone the National Insurance number application line to apply for one.
  • You can start working while waiting for your National Insurance number. As soon as you have been notified of your permanent National Insurance number, you should inform your employer. 

What do I do if I'm asked about my UCAS tariff points in an application?

  • When dealing with an application form, you can contact the company requesting advice on how to fill this section, or use the spaces provided for additional information to explain the matter. A sensible option is to list your qualifications and grades providing a context and explanation for them.

How can I present an academic and professional non-UK background to UK employers?

  • Some large employers will provide information on this point on their recruitment pages - it is worth checking their website for any guidelines on this point. However, other companies might not be familiar with your qualifications or know their UK equivalents.

Working after you complete your studies

If you want to remain in the UK to work after you have completed your studies, there are a number of visa options that may be available to you. 

Graduate route

  • The UK Government launched the Graduate route for international students on 1 July 2021.

Skilled worker route