Skip to main content

Media Studies: Key Thinkers and Approaches

Classes

Thursday 11 January - Thursday 21 March 2024, 6pm-9pm

20 sessions - Check class timetable

Overview

Our Media Studies: Key Thinkers and Approaches short course introduces you to many of the key figures, theories and approaches within media and cultural studies, providing a critical and intellectual foundation for further study in this vibrant academic field. Each week of the module presents an important debate, scholarly perspective or school of thought within the discipline: from medium theory, to notions of the public sphere, to questions of digital media. A particular focus is placed on primary texts written by influential figures within the history of media studies, and you will be given guidance on how to engage with this challenging, but rewarding, theoretical material.

Assessment is via an academic writing exercise of 1200 words (20%), intellectual biography of 1800 words (30%) and a take-home examination of three essay questions, 2000 words total (50%).

This can be taken as a standalone short course or as a part of:

30 credits at level 4

  • Entry requirements

    Entry requirements

    Most of our short courses have no formal entry requirements and are open to all students.

    This short course has no prerequisites.

    As part of the enrolment process, you may be required to submit a copy of a suitable form of ID.

    International students who wish to come to the UK to study a short course can apply for a Visitor visa. Please note that it is not possible to obtain a Student visa to study a short course.

  • How to apply

    How to apply

    You register directly onto the classes you would like to take. Classes are filled on a first-come, first-served basis - so apply early. If you wish to take more than one short course, you can select each one separately and then register onto them together via our online application portal. There is usually no formal selection process, although some modules may have prerequisites and/or other requirements, which will be specified where relevant.