Make a donation
If you are considering making a gift, but would like to discuss your donation options with a member of staff before you do, or you wish to donate in person, please.
Find out about our fundraising priorities.
- Make a single gift by Debit and Credit Cards
- Alternatively, download a donation form and return it to the Development Office.
Donate by post or phone
- Post: we accept cheques, charity vouchers and postal orders. Simply send your donation to the , and we will write back to confirm the receipt. Remember to make all cheques payable to ‘Birkbeck College’.
- Phone: to discuss your donation, or to make a donation over the phone, please .
- Payroll giving enables you to make a donation to Birkbeck straight from your gross salary, before tax has been deducted.
- For a basic rate taxpayer (paying 20% tax) to give a £10.00 donation, it will only cost £8.00 or just £6.00 for higher rate taxpayers (paying 40% tax).
- In addition, many employers will match their employees' donations. Ask your employer whether they have a payroll giving scheme.
- If you have any questions relating to payroll giving please contact us.
- By making a gift of shares to Birkbeck, you are entitled to claim full tax relief equal to the market value of the shares and any associated costs such as brokers' fees. For example, if you are higher rate taxpayer and you give £1000 worth of shares to Birkbeck, you will pay £400 less in income tax that year.
- No capital gains tax (CGT) will apply to any increase in the value of the shares donated to charity. However, if the shares have fallen in value, the donor will not be able to use this loss to offset any other CGT liability.
- If you have any questions relating to shares giving please contact us.
Gifts from the United States
- Birkbeck is registered with the British Schools and Universities Foundation, a US-based education foundation with 501(c)(3) tax exempt status. This means alumni and friends of Birkbeck living in the United States are able to benefit from the same tax deductions on their charitable donations as they would if they gave to a United States based university or charity.
- To make a donation to Birkbeck:
- Download and complete a .
- Make your cheque out to the 'British Schools and Universities Foundation'.
- Send the Donor Transmittal form and your cheque donation to the address specified on the form.
- Our representative will forward on your donation to the British Schools and Universities Foundation.
- The British Schools and Universities Foundation will provide you with a receipt which you can use for your tax return.
Give as you Live
- Start shopping through Give as you Live.
- Shop with your favourite stores and they'll donate to Birkbeck - and they won't charge you a penny more. From John Lewis to Expedia, you can compare thousands of products and brands that all raise money for UK causes and get the best deal online.
- Give as you Live works with 3113 stores that have signed up to donate a commission on every online purchase to the charity of your choice. This commission is already included in the price of what you're buying, so you can support Birkbeck at no extra cost to you.