Accommodation for continuing full-time students

If you are in your second year or above, you have a number of options to choose from.


  • As a Birkbeck student, you are eligible to apply for accommodation reserved at nominal rates at Unite's Station Court.
  • You can stay in Unite halls of residence as long as you are a full-time student.
  • How to apply: complete the application form (the deadline for completing your application is 31 July 2018).


  • A number of rooms are available for postgraduate and mature students in the University of London’s Handel Mansions, a quiet residence in Bloomsbury, just minutes from Birkbeck's Malet St main building.
  • This hall suits students looking for independent living in a scholarly environment. Accommodation is in shared 2, 3 or 4 bed flats.
  • Applications for rooms at Handel Mansions have now closed.

Private halls of residence

University of London Student Homes

  • As a full-time student, you can apply for rooms that are advertised for direct let to all University of London students through University of London Student Homes, which is a scheme that offers rooms in shared accommodation, flats or houses managed by the University of London. You would become a tenant of the University of London. (You will be required to have a guarantor - Birkbeck cannot act as a guarantor for this scheme.)
  • To be eligible to apply, you must have an unconditional offer (postgraduate) or be a current student (undergraduate or postgraduate).
  • New rooms are added regularly during the year.

University of London flats

  • If you are an undergraduate student in your second year or above, you can apply to stay in University of London-owned flats. Located in Finchley (Clandon House) and Bloomsbury (Gower Street flats), with weekly rates starting from £85 per week (Clandon House), they offer a great alternative to halls of residence.
  • Please note that you must be able to visit the accommodation in person before you apply. You can book a viewing by  before you apply. There is no formal application procedure, and the accommodation is offered on a first-come-first-served basis.

University of London Housing Services (ULHS) - help with private accommodation

  • Birkbeck students have full access to the University of London Housing Services, which is based in Student Central, next door to our main building on Malet Street.
  • ULHS also provides advice and assistance with the process of finding somewhere to rent as well as during the time you are renting. The experienced Housing Advice Team offer a contract checking service before you sign up to anything and also legal advice for those who are experiencing problems with private accommodation such as deposit disputes.
  • The ULHS Private Housing Guide provides information about everything you need to know about finding, securing and overcoming problems with private student accommodation in London.

University of London - Intercollegiate halls waiting list

  • From the beginning of September, the University of London Accommodation Services operates a centralised waiting list to allocate available rooms in intercollegiate halls.
  • Application is normally open for a short period of time at the beginning of September.  
  • Availability is limited; demand always exceeds supply.
  • More information on the process can be found on the University of London Accommodation website.