Free support and advice events for prospective students
We run regular free events in London throughout the year that can help you get a place at Birkbeck. If you are thinking about applying to study at Birkbeck, our advice sessions will help you choose the right course, guide you through the application process and help you get ready for university. Click on each of the headings below to find out more.
Try it! Birkbeck celebrates Adult Learners' Week
To celebrate Adult Learners’ Week, Birkbeck is hosting a series of free, high quality talks, workshops, and information and advice sessions at Stratford Old Town Hall. Learn more and book your place.
- Open evenings are a great way to find out more about Birkbeck and our courses, to meet our staff and discuss your academic interests. Take the first step in changing your life - book a place now!
- You can also meet special advisors to discuss fees, financial support packages, government loans, the application process, study skills support and disability support.
- We hold several open evenings throughout the year in Bloomsbury and Stratford and each runs from 4-7.30pm.
Financing your university course workshops
- Financing your university course: This free workshop will explain everything you need to know about undergraduate tuition fees, student loans, the application process and the great financial support packages we have at Birkbeck. More information and book a place.
- An interactive guide to student loans and Birkbeck financial support.
- Further information about financing your university course.
Careers advice workshops
- If you are thinking about studying one of our undergraduate degree courses but are not sure where to start, our free Future Focus - Careers Workshops provide an opportunity for you to consider your study options and how these may affect your future career choices. Find out more and book a place.
- A qualified careers advisor will lead discussions in small groups and by the end of the session, you will leave with a better understanding of how you can change your life through choosing a new career, and an action plan to guarantee your ambition of career success.
Application workshops: Get a place at Birkbeck
- Completing your application: The free Application Workshops will give you an overview of what Birkbeck looks for in an undergraduate degree application. The workshop will include practical writing exercises to help you write a more effective supporting statement to help you get a place at Birkbeck.
Get Ahead Undergraduate Summer Programme
- A free week-long summer programme from 24-29 June 2013, open to all undergraduate applicants, to help you have a great start to your course of study.
- You will have a choice of workshops building your confidence and understanding of what is involved in academic study, as well as finding out about services available to you as a student at Birkbeck.
- The programme is flexible, allowing you pick and choose which workshops to attend.
- Find out more and book your place.
Get motivated workshop
- This session with Angela Dierks, head of MyBirkbeck Student Services, will give you an opportunity to share your concerns about going back to university, and to consider your experiences and achievements so far. We will also look at your mindset in relation to learning. Find out more and book a place.
Preparing for higher education / studying at university
- Preparing for higher education: Find out all you need to know about starting a university course at our Preparing for Higher Education Workshop. The workshop will give you a taste of Birkbeck's vibrant learning environment and will give you the chance to consider the potential opportunities as well as challenges of studying at university.
- We also hold a Studying at University seminar in Stratford, and a Starting Out at University course at the University of East London Stratford Campus (run weekly by Birkbeck and University of East London) to prepare you for your university application. Check our events calendar for details.
One-to-one advice (for study in Stratford)
- If you would like information and advice about the Birkbeck courses on offer in Stratford and whether they are suitable for you, these advice sessions will help you. Please see our events calendar for future events.
Birkbeck, Stratford advice and testing evenings for academic English courses for non-native speakers of English
- ESOL Level 2 or equivalent is the minimum level required for studying Academic English at Birkbeck. At these events, you can:
- obtain advice on the range of Academic English modules available at Birkbeck in the summer term 2013, and which one is most suitable for you
- take a 40-minute test of your academic English and receive feedback on your strengths and weaknesses.
- Check our events calendar for details.
Saturday Try It
- We offer the workshops above in a condensed day programme for those who prefer to come along on a Saturday. The sessions run from 10am-2pm and cover the content from the Application Workshop, Fees and Funding, and Preparing for Higher Education workshops.
- Check our events calendar for details of upcoming events.
Spanish Language Cafe
- Have you alway wanted to learn a language but thought you never could? Come and join one of our free interactive and informal language lessons this June.
- Sessions will run on Thursdays from 2-4pm : 6, 13, 27 June and 11 July at the Canada Water Culture Space.
- The centre is at 21 Surrey Quays Road, London SE16 7AR. To register, please go to our booking page.
- Thinking about your future? Want to get into studying or work? Joining a free Birkbeck Learning Cafe could help. This five-week course of free study sessions will run at Sheringam Children's Centre in Newham in June and July.
- Thursday 16 May, 8.30am-11.00am: Drop-in Information Session Tuesday 21 May, 9.00am-12.00: Enrolment/ Drop-in session.
- Learning cafe sessions will run weekly from 9.30am-10.30am from Tuesday 4 June to Tuesday 2 July.
- Sheringham Children's Centre is on Sheringham Avenue, Manor Park, E12 5BP.
- To find out more and book your place, call 020 72234390/ 020 73803107 or email Patrice Buddington at email@example.com. Suggested hashtag for this event for Twitter users: #getlearning.
- What makes people happy? Exploring the 'big 7' of happiness and well-being: health,community, work, money, family and friends, and autonomy and values, Birkbeck academics have put together a series of workshops which unpack cutting-edge research from a range of disciplines to help you better understand the science behind the smile.
- Topics covered include: How to be happy - some quick wins (and losses), How to be happier at work - well-being in professional settings, How to increase well-being in communities - helping user groups and clients, How to adapt happiness research to meet your needs.
- If you would like us to deliver these sessions in your workplace, community venue or learning centre, please contact Annette McCone on 020 73803122 for more details.
Information events and workshops near you
- You can regularly find our team at information stands in local London libraries. We can give you information about our courses and show you where to find any other information that you may need about studying at Birkbeck.
- Find out if we are coming to a library near you in our our events calendar. Check our events calendar for upcoming dates for all our prospective student events.