Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from the Netherlands who have completed the Voorbereidend Wetenschappelijk Onderwijs (VWO) when awarded after 6 years can be considered for direct entry to an undergraduate course at Birkbeck.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
- Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements can consider a Foundation course, which allows students the chance to progress onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- A-level AAA = 144 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 9
- A-level AAB = 136 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 8
- A-level ABB = 128 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 8
- A-level BBB = 120 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 8
- A-level BBC = 112 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 7
- A-level BCC = 104 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 7
- A-level CCC = 96 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 7.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- To be considered for entry onto a Master’s degree at Birkbeck, a student from the Netherlands must have completed a Bachelor’s degree/Kandidaat (post-2002) from a recognised university or an HBO diploma (pre-2001)with a minimum grade of 6.0.
- Please note that all applications are considered on an individual basis and students may be admitted to Master's programmes with a lower level degree if they have work experience relevant to the degree applied for.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- Dutch degree classification:
- 9-10 (alternative name: Zeer goed; English translation or equivalent: Very good = 1st)
- 7-8 (alternative name: Ruim voldoende; English translation or equivalent: Very satisfactory = 2:1)
- 6-7 (alternative name: Voldoende; English translation or equivalent: Pass = 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- The usual entrance requirement for a research degree is a Master’s degree from a recognised university; schools may accept students with high grades in the undergraduate degree.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.