Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Luxembourg who have completed a Diplôme de Fin d'Etudes Secondaires when awarded at the end of the 3 years comprising secondary school can be considered for direct entry to an undergraduate course at Birkbeck.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
- Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements can consider a Foundation course, which allows students the chance to progress onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- A-level AAA = 144 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 60–48 (descriptor: Excellent/très bien)
- A-level AAB = 136 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 69–48 (descriptor: Excellent/très bien)
- A-level ABB = 128 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 47–40 (descriptor: Bien)
- A-level BBB = 120 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 47–40 (descriptor: Bien)
- A-level BBC = 112 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 39–35 (descriptor: Assez bien)
- A-level BCC = 104 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 39–35 (descriptor: Assez bien)
- A-level CCC = 96 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 34–30 (descriptor: Satisfaisant).
Postgraduate entry requirements
- To be considered for entry onto a Master’s degree at Birkbeck, a student from Luxembourg must have completed a Bachelor’s degree from a recognised university.
- Please note that all applications are considered on an individual basis and students may be admitted to Master's programmes with a lower level degree if they have work experience relevant to the degree applied for
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- Luxembourgian degree classification:
- 55 (trés bien), 18–20 (excellent) (English translation or equivalent: 1st)
- 45 (bien), 16–17 (trés bien) (English translation or equivalent: 2:1)
- 35 (satisfaisant), 14–15 (bien) (English translation or equivalent: 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- The usual entrance requirement for a research degree is a Master’s degree from a recognised university; schools may accept students with high grades in the undergraduate degree.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.