Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Lebanon who have completed the Baccalauréat General or Baccalauréat Technique will normally be required to complete a Foundation course for entry onto undergraduate programmes at the university. These offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- To be considered for entry onto a Master’s degree at Birkbeck, a student from Lebanon must have completed a Bachelor’s degree OR a Maitrise (equivalent to a British Bachelor’s degree) OR a Diplôme d'Etudes Supérieures/Approfondies from a recognised university. There is considerable variation in the types of award offered at undergraduate and postgraduate levels in Lebanon. Some institutions offer French-style awards such as the Licence and Maitrise, while others offer US-style Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes and others offer a combination of the two.
- Please note that all applications are considered on an individual basis and students may be admitted to Master's programmes with a lower level degree if they have work experience relevant to the degree applied for.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- The equivalency scale is as follows:
- Lebanese degree classification:
- French: 18–20; American: 90–100% or A (alternative name: Excellent; English translation or equivalent: 1st)
- French: 15–17; American: 90–89% or B (alternative name: Very good/Good; English translation or equivalent: 2:1)
- French: 12–14; American: 70–79% or C (alternative name: Good/Fair; English translation or equivalent: 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- The usual entrance requirement for a research degree is a Master’s degree/the Diplôme d'Etudes Approfondies (Diploma of Advanced Studies) from a recognised university.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.