Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Ireland who have completed the Irish Leaving Certificate with at least 5 subjects passed at Higher/Honours Level can be considered for direct entry to an undergraduate course at Birkbeck.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
- Grade A1 = 90 tariff points
- Grade A2 = 77 tariff points
- Grade B1 = 71 tariff points
- Grade B2 = 64 tariff points
- Grade B3 = 58 tariff points
- Grade C1 = 52 tariff points
- Grade C2 = 45 tariff points
- Grade C3 = 39 tariff points
- Grade D1 = 33 tariff points
- Grade D2 = 26 tariff points
- Grade D3 = 20 tariff points.
- A-level AAA = 144 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer A2 A2 B1 B1 B2
- A-level AAB = 136 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer A2 B1 B1 B2 B3
- A-level ABB = 128 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer B1 B1 B2 B3 B3
- A-level BBB = 120 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer B2 B2 B2 B3 C1
- A-level BBC = 112 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer B3 B3 B3 B3 C1
- A-level BCC = 104 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer B3 B3 C1 C1 C2
- A-level CCC = 96 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer C1 C1 C1 C2 C3.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Ireland will usually need a Bachelor’s degree from a university. Relevant work experience may also be considered for students whose GPAs are slightly below the preferred requirements.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- Irish degree classification:
- First class honours (English translation or equivalent: 1st)
- Second class honours, grade I (English translation or equivalent: 2:1)
- Second class honours, grade II (English translation or equivalent: 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- The usual entrance requirement for a research degree is a Master’s degree. However some departments also accept student with a Bachelor’s Honours degree.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.