Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from India can be considered for direct entry onto undergraduate degrees if they meet the minimum entry requirements below; state board entry requirements range between 60–80%.
- Birkbeck Entry Point: Bachelor Degree
- Minimum Qualification/Grade: Higher Secondary Certificate/All India Senior School Certificate/Higher School Certificate/Indian School Certificate (ISC)/Intermediate Certificate/Pre-University Course awarded on completion of Standard XII.
- Notes: Minimum accepted grades vary from 60–80% depending on the examining board (see below)
- Indian Board name: HSC XII – CBSE/CISCE/Maharashtra Boards; CCD equivalent: 65%; BBC equivalent: 70%; AAB equivalent: 75%
- Indian Board name: HSC XII – West Bengal State Board; CCD equivalent: 55%; BBC equivalent: 60%; AAB equivalent: 65%
- Indian Board name: HSC XII – All other state Boards; CCD equivalent: 70%; BBC equivalent: 75%; AAB equivalent: 80%.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
- Applicants who do not meet the minimum entry requirements can complete a Foundation course and can progress onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- Applicants will normally be required to achieve a first-class/first division mark in their undergraduate programme at a good institution of higher education in India. At the discretion of academic departments, students with degrees awarded by top universities such as the University of Mumbai, University of Delhi, University of Calcutta, Indian Institute of Technology and University of Pune, may be accepted with high second-class/high second division marks.
- For programmes requiring a 2:1: first-class degree, 60% or equivalent. Students with a high second-class degree, 55%+ or equivalent, from one of the top institutions may also be considered at the discretion of the department.
- For programmes requiring a 2:2: high second-class degree, 55% or equivalent. Students below this mark who have attended one of the top institutions may be considered at the discretion of the department.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
Research degrees entry requirements
- To be considered for entry to a research degree, applicants from India would normally be expected to have a Master’s degree from a reputable Indian university with a first-class degree classification or equivalent.
- Applicants with a Bachelor of Arts/Science/Commerce degree/ professional degree with distinction/high first-class degree/exceptional grades can be admitted for a PhD at the discretion of the department.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.
- Birkbeck-GREAT India Scholarship Programme is a joint programme part funded through GREAT funds and through contributions made by Birkbeck. GREAT is a part of the UK Government’s campaign to show the world the best of the UK.
- Scholarship Amount: As part of the Birkbeck-GREAT India Scholarship Programme 2017/18, Birkbeck will be offering 5 jointly funded scholarships worth £5,000 each.
- You must have an Indian passport
- You must have received your unconditional offer letter for your desired Postgraduate course.
- How to apply: Once you receive your offer letter, please submit an essay of no more than 500 words on topic: 'Why are you the ideal candidate to receive the £5000 Birkbeck-GREAT scholarship?' together with your offer letter to Kristyna Kanokova.
- Deadline: Applications for the Birkbeck-GREAT scholarship must be received by 1 June
- Notification of results: The successful candidates will be notified as soon as a decision has been made in June. Once notified, the successful applicants will have one week to accept the scholarship, or it will be offered to another qualified applicant.
- Note: GREAT scholarship is available for one year only. Find out more information about GREAT scholarship on British Council website.
- Contact: Kristyna Kanokova, Country Manager - India: email@example.com
- Edwise International: branches in Mumbai (Metro, Santa Cruz, Malad, Thane, Marine Lines) Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Cochin, Coimbatore, Delhi, Hyderabad, Indore, Kolkata, Pune, Surat, Trivandrum, Vadodara, Visakhapatnam (Vizag).
- International Placewell Consultants: branches in Delhi, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Jaipur.
- GeeBee Education: branches in Mumbai (Churchgate, Andheri, Borivali, Thane) Pune, Ahmedabad, Kolhapur, Nagpur, Mangalore, Goa, Chennai, Ludhiana, Bhopal, and Coimbatore.
- Global Opportunities: branches in Delhi, Mumbai, Amritsar, Chandigarh, Batala, Jalandhar, Hyderabad, Chennai, Bangalore, Ahmedabad, Visakhapatnam (Vizag), Pune.
- SI-UK: branches in Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai.