Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Estonia who have completed the following can be considered for direct entry:
- Gümnaasiumi lõputunnistus with the Riigieksamitunnistus (Secondary School Leaving Certificate with the State Examination Certificate)
- Lõputunnistus Keskehariduse Baasil Kutseõppe Läbimise Kohta with the Riigieksamitunnistus (Certificate of Vocational Education Based on Secondary Education)
- Lõputunnistus Keskerihariduse Omandamise Kohta with the Riigieksamitunnistus (Certificate of Secondary Vocational Education).
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
- A-level AAA = 144 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 90% (corresponding subject grades: A = 5)
- A-level AAB = 136 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 85%
- A-level ABB = 128 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 80%
- A-level BBB = 120 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 75% (corresponding subject grades: B = 4)
- A-level BBC = 112 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 70%
- A-level BCC = 104 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 65%
- A-level CCC = 96 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 60% (corresponding subject grades: C = 3).
Postgraduate entry requirements
- To be considered for entry onto a Master’s degree at Birkbeck, a student from Estonia must have completed a Bakalaurusekraad/Bachelor’s degree from a recognised university. Please note that all applications are considered on an individual basis and students may be admitted to Master's programmes with a lower level degree if they have work experience relevant to the degree applied for.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- Estonian degree classification:
- 5/A (alternative name: Suureprärane; English translation or equivalent: Excellent = 1st)
- 4/B (alternative name: Väga hea; English translation or equivalent: Very good = 2:1)
- 3/C (alternative name: Hea; English translation or equivalent: Good = 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- For entry onto our research degree courses students should normally have a Master’s degree from a UK university or a recognised university in Estonia; some departments might consider very good applicants with a Bakalaureusekrad (Bachelor’s degree).
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.