Visit our Weibo page for regular updates in Chinese.
Undergraduate entry requirements
- To be considered for direct entry onto a Bachelor's degree at Birkbeck, applicants from China must have:
- a 2- or 3-year Diploma (Zhuanke or Da Zhuan) with a minimum final grade of at least 80% or equivalent
- OR, at the discretion of the department, a Vocational Diploma (Gaozhi) with a minimum final grade of at least 80% or equivalent
- OR to have completed the first year of a Bachelor's degree (Xueshi) with an average grade of at least 80% or equivalent. Students from higher tiered universities may be accepted with an average grade of 75%
- Applicants from China who have completed the Senior Secondary School Certificate will normally require a Foundation course for entry onto undergraduate programmes at the university. These offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28–30, depending on the course.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from China need to have completed a Bachelor's degree (Xueshi) from a recognised university in China with a final grade of 75–85% in order to enter onto a Master’s degree. Minimum requirements will vary depending on the university at which you studied and the subject you wish to study at Birkbeck. Relevant work experience may also be taken into account.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s Degrees at Birkbeck.
- Chinese degree classifications:
- 90% (alternative name: 1st; 5 point scale: 5; 4 point scale: 4)
- 80% (alternative name: 2:1; 5 point scale: 4; 4 point scale: 3.3)
- 75% (alternative name: 2:2; 5 point scale: 3.5; 4 point scale: 2.7).
Research degrees entry requirements
- We generally expect applicants to have a Master's degree (Shuoshi) from a recognised university in China with a final grade of 75–85%. Minimum requirements will vary depending on the university at which you studied; students who have studied at one of the 211 universities will be accepted with a minimum of 75%. A key consideration will be the quality of your research proposal.
- Birkbeck signed an agreement with South Western University of Finance and Economics in Chengdu on 22 June 2011. A dual degree has been agreed, whereby up to 15 selected students from SWUFE will come to London to study at Birkbeck for the second year of their SWUFE Master's Degree, during which time they will complete one of the Master's degree programmes in the Department of Management.
- Birkbeck signed an agreement with Dongbei University of Finance and Economics, Dalian, on 18 July 2012. Up to 15 students from DUFE will study for a 1-year Master’s in the Department of Management at Birkbeck. This will form the second year of a 3-year Chinese Master’s programme and the students will graduate with dual degrees. Three PhD students from DUFE will be selected to study at Birkbeck.
- Birkbeck’s School of Social Sciences, History and Philosophy has a successful Chinese collaboration with the School of Foreign Languages, Beijing Institute of Technology, one of the national key universities in China. The partnership involves visiting students taking modules and programmes in the Department of Applied Linguistics and Communication. This collaboration also includes a reciprocal staff exchange.They will have the option to study in a mixed-mode model, completing the first year of study in London and the remainder of the programme in China.
- Birkbeck also has agreements with the Northwestern Polytechnical University, Xian.
Speak to a current Chinese student studying at Birkbeck
- Birkbeck has an active QQ group run by current students studying at Birkbeck.
- If you would like to find out what is like to study at Birkbeck, join the group and feel free to ask any questions you may have QQ: 232133327.
Speak to the International Team on WeChat
Sign up now by scanning the QR code and joining bbkinternational.