Lecturer in Politics, Programme Director BA Global Politics and International Relations
About Jason Edwards
Research interests and supervision
- The history of political thought. I'm particularly interested in the work of Martin Luther, Thomas Hobbes, Alexis de Tocqueville, Karl Marx, Max Weber and Carl Schmitt.
- Contemporary political and social theory. Main areas of interest: democratic theory, in particular debates around deliberative, agonistic and associative democracy; conceptualisations of the political; the character of political and social modernity, particularly with respect to the formation of political knowledge and political subjects; the work of contemporary political and social theorists who have made major contributions in these areas, in particular Michel Foucault.
- Issues in the philosophy of the social sciences. Evolutionary ideas in the social sciences; the relationship between biological, psychological and social explanations of human behaviour.
- Supervision. Enquiries from those seeking PhD supervision in these areas are welcome. If you are interested in pursuing research in any of these areas, you should first read our advice on how to apply for MPhil/PhD research before submitting an application.
- Essay on economic independence and republicanism on openDemocracy:http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/jason-edwards/economic-justice-requires-more-independence-not-less
- Essay on the Big Society and associationalism published on openDemocracy:
- 'Play and Democracy: Huizinga and the Limits of Agonism' published on-line (see link under publications).
- Retrieving the Big Society published by Wiley-Blackwell, August 10th 2012. http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1118368789.html">
- Links to some of my published and unpublished work can be found on my website, here.
- Retrieving the Big Society (ed.) (Oxford: Wiley Blackwell, 2012).
- The Radical Attitude and Modern Political Theory (London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007).
- 'Play and Democracy: Huizinga and the Limits of Agonism', Political Theory, 41, 1, February 2013: 88-113. On-line publication available at: http://ptx.sagepub.com/content/early/recent .
- 'Introduction' and 'Freedom, Free Institutions, and the Big Society' in J. Edwards (ed.) Retrieving the Big Society (Oxford: Wiley Blackwell, 2012).
- 'Foucault and the Continuation of War' in A. Plaw (ed), The Metamorphosis of War (Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2012).
- 'The Materialism of Historical Materialism' in D. Coole and S. Frost (eds), New Materialisms: Ontology, Agency, and Politics.(Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 2010).
- (with Alejandro Colas) 'Democracy, the State and Capitalism Today' in J. Pugh (ed.), What is Radical Politics? (London: Routledge, 2009).
- (with Kelvin Knight) 'Paul Hirst's Pluralism: A Response to Mark Wenman', Political Studies, 56, October 2008: 737-741.
- 'The Ideological Interpellation of Individuals as Combatants: An encounter between Reinhart Koselleck and Michel Foucault',Journal of Political Ideologies, 12, 1, February 2007: 49-66.
- 'Analytical Marxism and the Academy' in D. Bates (ed.) Marxism, Intellectuals and Politics (London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007).
- 'Critique and Crisis Today: Koselleck, Enlightenment and the Concept of Politics', Contemporary Political Theory, 5, 2006: 428-446.
- 'Evolutionary Psychology and Politics', Economy and Society, 32, 2, May 2003: 280-298.
- 'The Quest for Evolutionary Socialism', Imprints, 3, 2, Winter 1998-9: 175-188.
- 'Foucault' in G. Claeys (ed.) Encyclopedia of Modern Poltical Thought (CQ Press, 2012).
- 'G. D. H. Cole' in M. Gibbons (ed.) Encyclopedia of Political Thought (Oxford: Blackwell, forthcoming).
- 'Elite Theory' in M. Gibbons(ed.) Encyclopedia of Political Thought(Oxford: Blackwell, forthcoming).
- 'Postmaterialism' in M. Bevir (ed.) Encyclopedia of Political Theory(SAGE, 2009).
- Review of F. Vander Valk (ed.) Essays on Neuroscience and Political Theory: Rethinking the Body Politic (Routledge, 2012) inPolitical Studies Review, forthcoming.
- Review of Marx Through Post-Structuralism: Lyotard, Derrida, Foucault, Deleuze by Simon Choat’ (Continuum, 2010), in Global Discourse [Online], 2: I, 2011, available from: http://global-discourse.com/contents
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
Encyclopedia and Recent Reviews
- Political Theory (MSc/ MRes)
- Social and Political Theory (BA)
- Politics, Power and Human Nature (BA)
- Food, Politics, and Society (BA)