Loans for American students
Birkbeck is recognised by the US Department of Education for the purpose of receiving financial aid for US students on degree programmes, and is therefore eligible to certify loan applications for the William D Ford Federal Direct Loan Program.
- Birkbeck's federal student code: you will need this for any loan application.
- How to apply for federal or Direct loans: you should apply for these before exploring other loans.
- Direct Loan entrance and exit counselling: you need to go through these processes to apply for federal/Direct loans.
- How to apply for private loans and PLUS loans: you can apply for these if your federal loan isn't enough to cover the cost of your studies. Find out more about loan providers.
- Processing your loan application: find out how we process your applications.
- How long does it take to process US student loans? Birkbeck will endeavour to turn your application around in seven days.
- Receiving loan payments: find out how your loan(s) will be paid out.
- Loan repayments: you are responsible for organising loan repayments.
- What happens if you withdraw from your course?
If you want to check on the progress of your loan application, please do not hesitate to contact us.