English language and study skills support
We offer a range of options for English language support. If you need to improve your language skills before you start your degree in order to meet our English language requirements, we have support available.
Improving your study skills
- are free to use and you can work through them at your own pace before and during your course to help you succeed.
English language courses before you enrol
- Settle into London life, familiarise yourself with the British approach to learning and improve your English before your course begins!
- If you have not met the English language condition of your offer to study with us, or you feel that your English language skills need improvement, we offer pre-sessional English language courses:
- 4-week pre-sessional English course: Our pre-sessional English for Academic purposes is an intensive course that introduces students whose first language is not English to the conventions of academic study at a UK university. The focus is on academic reading, writing, speaking and listening. This skills-based course is restricted to students who have already been offered a place at university. Students eligible for the 4-week pre-sessional are ones who achieve an IELTS 6.5 but score less than 6.0 in one subtest (but no lower than 5.5).
- 10-week pre-sessional English course: This course combines all the language teaching of the pre-sessional English for Academic Purposes course, but in greater depth. Students will progress onto their main course of study at Birkbeck upon successful completion. Students who are eligible for the 10-week pre-sessional must have a minimum score of IELTS 6.0 (minimum 5.5 per subtest).
Birkbeck Foundation Programme for Postgraduate Study (Graduate Diploma)
- This course is specifically designed for international students, bridging the gap between undergraduate and postgraduate study and preparing you for Master's study in the UK. Why not think about applying to our popular 9-month long Foundation Programme for Postgraduate Study if you are looking for an opportunity to:
- improve your language proficiency and competence through content-based learning and real life practice
- develop postgraduate study skills and professional communication skills
- experience British culture and find out what it is like to study alongside other students.
- Birkbeck welcomes applications from students who have successfully completed the Undergraduate Foundation programme and the Master’s Foundation programme, and some of our courses guarantee a place to successful students.
- : If your level of English language on your academic qualification is too low for direct admission to your chosen programme at Birkbeck, you may benefit from joining the undergraduate Foundation programme or the Master’s Foundation programme offered at the ONCampus London centre. Based on the Birkbeck campus, you will have complete access to Birkbeck facilities - libraries, online resources and laboratories. / Master's Foundation programme
- The Foundation Campus International Diploma is a 1-year (3 term) programme that offers successful students guaranteed progression to Year 2 of a range of business-related undergraduate degrees at Birkbeck.