Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Hong Kong who have completed the following can apply for direct entry to undergraduate courses:
- Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) with level 4-5 in at least three subjects. These can be a mixture of core and elective subjects, but excluding Chinese Language and Liberal Studies. Subject-specific requirements apply as normal; Mathematics requires both compulsory and extended parts.
- Hong Kong Advanced-Level Examination (HKALE): grade requirements are the same as UK A-levels. Mathematics and sciences HKALE considered to be one grade higher than UK A-levels.
- Associate Degree (AD) with a final GPA of at least 3.0 or equivalent (can also be accepted for second-year entry at the discretion of the department)
- Higher Diploma with a GPA of at least 3.0 or equivalent.
- Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements are eligible to apply for a Foundation course; upon completion, these offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28 to 30, depending on the course.
- A-level AAA = 144 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer (HKALC) BBB (orresponding subject grades: B)
- A-level AAB = 136 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer (HKALC) BBC
- A-level ABB = 128 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer (HKALC) BCC
- A-level BBB = 120 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer (HKALC) CCC (corresponding subject grades: C)
- A-level BBC = 112 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer (HKALC) CCD
- A-level BCC = 104 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer (HKALC) CDD
- A-level CCC = 96 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer (HKALC) DDD (corresponding subject grades: D).
- The HKDSE is a three-year senior secondary academic structure which commenced in September 2009.
- UCAS tariff points:
- Grade 5** (all subject except maths: 145; maths compulsory component: 65; maths extended component: 80)
- Grade 5* (all subject except maths: 130; maths compulsory component: 60; maths extended component: 70)
- Grade 5 (all subject except maths: 120; maths compulsory component: 45; maths extended component: 60)
- Grade 4 (all subject except maths: 80; maths compulsory component: 35; maths extended component: 50)
- Grade 3 (all subject except maths: 40; maths compulsory component: 25; maths extended component: 40).
Postgraduate entry requirements
- We generally expect applicants to have a Bachelor's degree from a recognised university in Hong Kong with a minimum degree classification of 2:1 or 2:2. The grade we require may vary according to the subject applicants are interested in. We may also take relevant work experience into account.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- Hong Kong degree classification:
- CGPA 3.70-4.30 (letter grade: A; alternative name: Excellent; English translation or equivalent: 1st)
- CGPA 2.70-3.69 (letter grade: B; alternative name: Good; English translation or equivalent: 2:1)
- CGPA 2.40-2.69 (letter grade: C; alternative name: Adequate; English translation or equivalent: 2:2).
Research degree entry requirements
- We typically expect applicants to have a Master's degree from a recognised university in Hong Kong with a good grade. A key consideration will be the quality of your research proposal. You must also meet our English language requirements.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.
Find out about our international scholarships.
- Birkbeck’s School of Law signed an agreement with Hong Kong Shue Yan University on 30 November 2013. The new Trans-jurisdictional Legal Theory and Policy Research Centre, hosted at Shue Yan University, is a major part of the collaboration. This Centre will enable scholars from the participating universities to develop comparative research projects and visit each other’s institutions to teach. The other element is an agreement to admit up to 15 students per year from Shue Yan University onto the School of Law’s Qualifying Law Degree (LLM) programme.
Contact us in Hong Kong
- GET Educational Consultancy
Unit 9A, Harbour Commercial Building
122 Connaught Road Central
tel: +852 2730 7311
fax: +852 2730 5811
- BEO Ltd (Hong Kong)
Room 602, On Hong Commercial Building
145 Hennessy Road
tel: +852 2110-3835
- BEO Ltd (Kowloon)
Room 2404, Righteous Centre
585 Nathan Road
Nongkok, Hong Kong
tel: +852 2110-3475/0276
- BEO Ltd (New Territories)
23/F, Nan Fung Centre
Tsuen Wan, N.T.
tel: +852 2110-3368/1319